2012 MLB Thread

Mark Reynolds has hit 8 home runs in 7 games. We keep him around just for that.

Was glad to be at Camden Yards tonight for a meaningful game. Crowd was cheering from the Cal Ripken ceremony before the start of the game all the way until after they poured out onto the streets after the ninth. This wave is gonna be carried for the rest of the homestand, I'm glad to finally get to experience it.

Was glad to be at Camden Yards tonight for a meaningful game. Crowd was cheering from the Cal Ripken ceremony before the start of the game all the way until after they poured out onto the streets after the ninth. This wave is gonna be carried for the rest of the homestand, I'm glad to finally get to experience it.

Reynolds' strikeouts are also good for generating brisk summer breezes, are they not?

Reynolds' strikeouts are also good for generating brisk summer breezes, are they not?

They keep the city cool in June and July.

Well they'll be making the playoffs with or without him this year. He was awful last night. Johnson said the shutdown talk got to him.

But this is the future everyone, get used to it. To me it's better than the days of guys like Dusty Baker blowing everybody's arms in a failed playoff campaign. I still wonder what we'd have gotten from Mark Prior if it weren't for him.

But they're going to be in the playoffs. Don't you want your best pitcher to be involved in your playoff run? It's fucking stupid. I completely understand doing it if you're out of the race entirely. If you're in the running though, be in it to win it. Pretty sure the paying fans would rather watch the team win than watch them play it safe and get knocked out early.

Why the hell didn't they just hold him out until like June, that way he'd be missing games that don't matter.

Why the hell didn't they just hold him out until like June, that way he'd be missing games that don't matter.

The Braves have done this with Kris Medlen, so if they're able to get in the playoffs, we may get an interesting comparison.

NPR's Weekend Edition made the best point on this, though. Even if it means perhaps missing the World Series or playoffs this year, wouldn't you rather have an excellent pitcher for years to come? Also, we are talking about a human being's health, after all.

The Braves have done this with Kris Medlen, so if they're able to get in the playoffs, we may get an interesting comparison.

NPR's Weekend Edition made the best point on this, though. Even if it means perhaps missing the World Series or playoffs this year, wouldn't you rather have an excellent pitcher for years to come? Also, we are talking about a human being's health, after all.

Theoretically, sure, but even by doing this, there is no way of knowing whether he will stay healthy going forward. There is very little evidence that limiting the innings of a pitcher coming off Tommy John helps (and even Tommy John himself said he doesn't see the point). Even when babying pitchers, they still can go down (Joba for example).

Yes, and they should have had held him out early in the season instead of later but maybe if they did that the entire season would have unfolded differently. Medical professionals should be listened to in every instance regarding a player's health at the expense of anything else.

Washington will be in it for years to come. Deep pockets, great foundation, strong front office.

Markakis out for six months after Sabathia broke his thumb. I hate the Yankees.

Six weeks man. If they make the ALCS he might be able to come back!

Also. I believe in Lew Ford.

My favorite part of last night was Teixeria's head first slide causing a blown call on the play that would have tied the game. If he ran it through he would have been on the other side of 1st when the ball got there. Ah, baseball players, your stupid decisions will never cease to humor me.