2012 MLB Thread

Mike Rizzo has once again reiterated that Strasburg only has a couple more starts left and then he is being shut down. He's also said that Strasburg will merely be a spectator come October.

I really hope the Nats get knocked out early. No team that shuts down its perfectly healthy best player deserves to win a World Series.

I watched Mike & Mike In The Morning and First Take this morning, and both shows discussed the situation. Of all the players busted for PEDs since 2005, the majority have been from the Dominican Republic. Not surprised, because I read an article last year that said the problem is that due to their culture the Dominicans don't see anything wrong with using PEDs.

Someone said something that made a lot of sense on one of the shows: suspensions don't seem to be enough of a deterrant, so maybe a contract clause that makes testing positive for PEDs a contract violation, so a team can just outright release a player busted for using them without owing them a dime, is in order. Problem is the current CBA won't allow that.

In my opinion, three things should happen when a player tests positive and the results stand:

1. Their stats for the season are wiped out, but only as they apply to them. That is, their team doesn't lose wins a pitcher earned or RBIs or runs from a position player. Its as if they never even played that season, as it affects their stats, and this is done to screw with their career stats and any records they may be heading for or actually holding when busted.

2. They're automatically rendered ineligible for the Hall of Fame, unless the HoF decides to add a special wing for cheaters.

3. No postseason career awards for j00! Meaning if you're busted in spring training or early in the season, sit out 50 games, then come back and have Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, MVP or Cy Young Stats....tough, motherfucker, because your cheating ass won't be getting squat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=Dock-Ellis

Great article about one of the craziest baseball games and players.

Oh, and a lot of PED users grow up in a world surrounded by them, they're available on the shelf. And people are fine taking them because they grow up in absolute poverty, and as with a lot of people who grow up in absolute poverty once you start making money you never feel secure enough and you keep wanting to make more and more because you remember how bad the other side is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=Dock-Ellis

Great article about one of the craziest baseball games and players.

Oh, and a lot of PED users grow up in a world surrounded by them, they're available on the shelf. And people are fine taking them because they grow up in absolute poverty, and as with a lot of people who grow up in absolute poverty once you start making money you never feel secure enough and you keep wanting to make more and more because you remember how bad the other side is.

Co-sign on the Dock Ellis article. Read it this afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/boston-red-sox-adrian-gonzalez-headed-los-angeles-dodgers-sources-say

There appears to be the possibility that Gonzalez will be dealt from Boston to LA. I really have no idea what to say, he's one of those guys who I just think as being untradeable no matter what. There's no reason why you'd want to let him go, when he was born to hit at Fenway, and he's still got 3 to 5 years ahead of great productivity. Boston might be realizing rebuilding the farm system is a good idea, but of all the guys on the team he'd strike me as the last one that you would want to use for that purpose.

That said, if he goes to LA, DMN might as well just start lining up on Figueroa for the parade now.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/boston-red-sox-adrian-gonzalez-headed-los-angeles-dodgers-sources-say

There appears to be the possibility that Gonzalez will be dealt from Boston to LA. I really have no idea what to say, he's one of those guys who I just think as being untradeable no matter what. There's no reason why you'd want to let him go, when he was born to hit at Fenway, and he's still got 3 to 5 years ahead of great productivity. Boston might be realizing rebuilding the farm system is a good idea, but of all the guys on the team he'd strike me as the last one that you would want to use for that purpose.

That said, if he goes to LA, DMN might as well just start lining up on Figueroa for the parade now.

Rumor has it that Boston might try to dump Crawford and Beckett in the deal. Now THAT would be crazy.

Rumor has it that Boston might try to dump Crawford and Beckett in the deal. Now THAT would be crazy.

And awesome.

UPDATE (5:25 PM ET): ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes Tweets that the two teams are working on a trade that involves sending Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto to Los Angeles.

If the Dodgers keep operating like this it may be harder to hate the Yankees. Save some overpaid players for the Bronx :angry:

Interestingly, Justin Upton was claimed off of waivers by a team not yet identified, per Jon Heyman at CBS Sports. The Braves were seemingly in talks to pick him up near the trade deadline, but given how well Prado has been in left, I can't see any Bravos moving around in the outfield.

Upton's injury-plagued season may lower the asking price and make it too tempting to pass him up, however. This has nothing to do with my Still Cursed Outfield of Dismemberment, mind you :shifty:

Wow...not that Crawford & Beckett were contributing too much this year, but where will Boston be over the next few years without any of these guys. The heart of the order will be Elsbury - Pedroia - Middlebrooks? In the AL East I really doubt that's gonna cut it.

Wow...not that Crawford & Beckett were contributing too much this year, but where will Boston be over the next few years without any of these guys. The heart of the order will be Elsbury - Pedroia - Middlebrooks? In the AL East I really doubt that's gonna cut it.

This just allows them to actually have some flexibility going forward, mostly being able to re-sign Ellsbury now it seems. It's an amazing deal for Boston and one they had to take advantage of to dump 250 million in contracts on a team going nowhere.

They'll be exactly where they are now. Crawford can no longer stay healthy and will likely never regain his form. Beckett is a malcontent who's best days are far behind him. Even Gonzalez is starting to regress. The culture needs to change in Boston, and if it takes trading Gonzalez to do it, then so be it.