Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

What Marvel did was risky, but they did it in stages and allowed things to be successful, with the budgets presumably rising accordingly. Hulk was well known to a 'non-comic' audience already despite two meh films, so the reception to Iron Man was what allowed them to keep building. DC have just made a massive list of future releases off the back of one film that was okay, with a new Batman following a very successful trilogy and a load of otherwise 'new' characters.

They're giving people what they want as fast as they can. They can't take the risk of copying the Marvel method, then wind up 4 films in and have the bubble burst.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not over saturating it at all. To say that the GotG didn't succeed because it was a Marvel movie is wrong, that's exactly why it did as well as it did. Every movie that's followed the Avengers has been earned at least $600 million dollars, at least $100 million more than what the Marvel movies were making pre-Avengers. No one cares if they are all having the same ending (they're not, though, Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier had very different endings), I don't know why you think that's a factor into whether their films will be a success.

They've ridden the post-Avengers film fantastically, and Avengers 2 is probably going to either break the record the first one made or come very close to it. They'll ride that wave through 2016 and 2017, before Infinity War Part 1.

I don't know what will happen with Black Panther and Inhumans, since both are pretty hard to sell (the jungle one especially, in my opinion, because I can just see the mainstream audience rolling their eyes at it), but everything besides that is definitely fine.

Phase 1 was a huge gamble, but they've created such a successful strategy that two other studios are trying their damnedest to copy it.

Exactly, and DC has the properties to actually follow that model. Sony meanwhile seems to be realizing that they can't stretch Spider-Man that far, and hopefully they'll just decide to let Marvel take over and enjoy their split of the profits.

Just read something Sonia Saraiya wrote where she states that Gotham is a better show than Agents of SHIELD, which might be the dumbest thing I've seen her write. She even calls the Flash a better show, even though it's only four episodes in (although I agree they've been fantastic) and also Constantine, which has only one episode aired (again, though, it was great, but it's about to become real procedury).

I don't get the hate against Agents of Shield, basically. According to what you guys have said Arrow suffered from a bad first season too, and I'd even go as far as to say that SHIELD turned it around midway through season 1 and has been good to fantastic since then.

Just read something Sonia Saraiya wrote where she states that Gotham is a better show than Agents of SHIELD, which might be the dumbest thing I've seen her write. She even calls the Flash a better show, even though it's only four episodes in (although I agree they've been fantastic) and also Constantine, which has only one episode aired (again, though, it was great, but it's about to become real procedury).

I don't get the hate against Agents of Shield, basically. According to what you guys have said Arrow suffered from a bad first season too, and I'd even go as far as to say that SHIELD turned it around midway through season 1 and has been good to fantastic since then.

Agents of SHIELD started to find its feet after the mid-season break in Season 1, and then really gained momentum by the time HYDRA showed up. Only 1 episode of series 2 has aired at the timing of me writing this (with a second about to be shown) but based on what I've seen so far the show is going from strength to strength. The same can't be said of Gotham, which is basically the Penguin & Bullock Show for me at this point, as they're the only two characters I really care about from week to week

Because they are the only ones not to totally suck.

Actually, I know I'm alone in this but I like fish Mooney too. Her plans are stupid but I like the Kitt- like delivery, I've a soft spot for it. It's not in the same league as bullock and penguin but at least I don't cringe when her scenes pop up. I like the casual evil she does.

Those are just the (so-far) confirmed dates. There's also ASM4, X-Force, a female-centered spin-off from the Spider-Man Universe, Venom Carnage, Sandman, the next Wolverine solo and who knows what else.

Actually, Suicide Squad and Sinister Six in the same year is pretty cool. Would love to see how those two compare.

EDIT: Anybody else think they'll be using the twins to introduce the Inhumans?

didn't they cancel the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man sequels after the performance of #2? That's why there are rumors of Spidey being in some Marvel stuff in the future, right? And the Venom & Carnage movies? I thought they only left the Sinister Six movie on the table.

Oh right, belatedly, I didn't read that it was Sonia Saraiya who said that about Gotham vs. Agents of SHIELD. Her opinions are often terrible, probably my least favorite writer in The AV Club's group of TV reviewers (though she's moved on from there now).

They didn't cancel it, they pushed it back.

I read the Venom & Carnage movies are more or less dead in the water, Sinister Six is fine, and the Amazing Spider-Man 3 was pushed back to 2018.

"soft reboot"

I can believe that about Venom Carnage, since there practically has been nothing done on it bar a few ideas thrown about. Kinda' like a lot of DC's plans.

Besides that though I thought they had pushed ASM3 back because they wanted to give time for Sinister Six in 2016 and that female-centred spin-off, which I can also believe is dead in the water.

Oh right, belatedly, I didn't read that it was Sonia Saraiya who said that about Gotham vs. Agents of SHIELD. Her opinions are often terrible, probably my least favorite writer in The AV Club's group of TV reviewers (though she's moved on from there now).

I did like her reviews on either Hannibal or Masters of Sex, can't remember which. She did also write that awful Rape of Thrones article, though. I didn't know she left, thought she was writing for both Salon and AV Club.

I primarily remember that she was shoehorned into Mad Men reviews while they were trying out that "multiple reviewers discuss the show" format and she added absolutely nothing. Her Hannibal reviews were good, though.