Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

If anything is in danger of bombing on the Marvel side, it's Inhumans. Not exactly well known, not exactly easy to get into and it doesn't have the comedy that comes with Guardians to help it out. And one of its main characters is mute. I trust Marvel, but it's going to be interesting to see how that one unfolds.

It's all Lockjaw, baby.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything is in danger of bombing on the Marvel side, it's Inhumans. Not exactly well known, not exactly easy to get into and it doesn't have the comedy that comes with Guardians to help it out. And one of its main characters is mute. I trust Marvel, but it's going to be interesting to see how that one unfolds.

It's all Lockjaw, baby.

AZxpmwV.jpg

• Like 2

If they bring in Mar-Vell and kill him off. And beat Thanos. I'd be fully up for a Thanos Imperative movie with the Cancerverse Avengers. Thanos would be loved as an anti-hero /w the GotG.

Edited by fourstarfizzle

No they aren't. People are going to see their movies, people are going to see Marvel's movies. It's not like people can only choose to see one or the other.

• Like 2

And a lot of them are spaced apart from each other, only one or two overlap each other, so if there was like anyone that could just barely find the time to go to the cinema, it'd only be slightly affected. In fact, if we're comparing DC and Marvel, I think only one of the JL movies and Black Panther clash.

Let's just enjoy it while it is happening. I really still don't like Henry Cavill as Superman though. I can't even really tell you why but I just really couldn't get into his acting during the first one. I'm hoping it comes across much better in the Superman vs Batman movie.

The thing that has happened here is, Marvel have created an identity we all know and love, non comic book fans can now think 'man, this next avengers tie in is fantastic'. The MCU is ours and we are a part of it.

DCU on the other hand, constantly changing who is who and what is what, new actors, new back stories, and as they own all of their property they need a Whedon to run the whole shebang but don't. Unless they explain everything by doing Crisis on Infinate Earths and they can get Bale, Keaton, Affleck, Cain, Cavill, the kid who plays The Flash now and who will end up playing him and going 'look! It was all different universes!' They will never get a foot hold.

Marvel have already established a potential mega avengers in Ironman, Hulk, Cap, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Fury, Bucky, Falcon, Warmachine, Sif, Guardians, Hill.

By Infinity War we will also have Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, The Vision, Antman, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil and whoever I have missed. MCU is forever safe. Antman is even going to introduce the 'same mask, new character' dynamic incase they lose someone.

By all accounts, DC will introduce nearly all their main stable in Batman vs Superman which could theoretically bomb.

I do dread the day that Marvel have to think about recasting/rebooting, but I'm certainly enjoying it while it lasts. I know they can be clever with it for a while with a new Cap, Rhodes as Iron Man etc but it won't feel the same without the #bantz.

Yeah, I was convinced for a long time that either Guardians Of The Galaxy or Dr. Strange would see the end of the comic book movie boom just by taking too many risks, but now I'm not sure anything Marvel have planned will do that, because of how well they've approached their universe, and it probably will be when it comes to re-casting and/or killing off long-term characters that they will struggle. The idea that the MCU is "forever safe", though, is nonsense.

DCU on the other hand, constantly changing who is who and what is what, new actors, new back stories, and as they own all of their property they need a Whedon to run the whole shebang but don't. Unless they explain everything by doing Crisis on Infinate Earths and they can get Bale, Keaton, Affleck, Cain, Cavill, the kid who plays The Flash now and who will end up playing him and going 'look! It was all different universes!' They will never get a foot hold.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

The thing that has happened here is, Marvel have created an identity we all know and love, non comic book fans can now think 'man, this next avengers tie in is fantastic'. The MCU is ours and we are a part of it.

Marvel have already established a potential mega avengers in Ironman, Hulk, Cap, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Fury, Bucky, Falcon, Warmachine, Sif, Guardians, Hill.

By Infinity War we will also have Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, The Vision, Antman, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil and whoever I have missed. MCU is forever safe. Antman is even going to introduce the 'same mask, new character' dynamic incase they lose someone.

By all accounts, DC will introduce nearly all their main stable in Batman vs Superman which could theoretically bomb.

This is a person who does not understand that what Marvel did was incredibly risky and had no guarantee that it would succeed, let alone be successful.

Also, The Hulk has been played by a different actor in every appearance thus far and no, never mind the rest that was just a dumb post.

What Marvel did was risky, but they did it in stages and allowed things to be successful, with the budgets presumably rising accordingly. Hulk was well known to a 'non-comic' audience already despite two meh films, so the reception to Iron Man was what allowed them to keep building. DC have just made a massive list of future releases off the back of one film that was okay, with a new Batman following a very successful trilogy and a load of otherwise 'new' characters.

I do think Marvel are overdoing it a little bit in the wake of Guardians being a massive success. Pulling that off probably makes them feel invincible. But over saturating the marketplace is not a good idea. The core Avengers are probably a safe franchise forever, but people will tire of a new movie every month, unless every single movie is really good, and differentiates itself from the rest. Guardians didn't succeed because it was a Marvel movie, it succeeded because it was a very fun movie with an endearing cast. And even they had the problem of having the same ending as a lot of recent Marvel movies. If they think they can just slap a Marvel logo on anything and make a billion dollars, it's not going to work.