Characters You Have The 'Wrong' Allegiance To

Steeb

So yeah, what characters that you're supposed to hate, do you love, and vice versa?

I ask as I'm watching First Class, and it strikes me: there is no iteration of Beast that I like, or sympathise with, or whatever. He's a dick. Whilst Magneto is quite the opposite, guy is Shredded Awesome, 24/7 - particularly in the more recent comic stuff I've read.

I'm sure there're others I'm forgetting right now, but they'll crop up here more than likely. Anyone got any others?

Yeah, Heroes to me was basically the Sylar and Hiro show - and even Hiro got boring eventually. I think it might've been more of a critical success if the 3rd/4th season had just resulted in Sylar succeeding - kind of a bait and switch.

I loved Vic Mackey even though he was a terrible person who did terrible things and ruined the lives of everyone around him.

I miss The Shield :(

I want to say most of the casts of basically every HBO drama, but that's hardly fair. Those shows are - more often than not - meant to blur the line between protagonist and antagonist, if I may oversimplify a bit. I've been going through The Wire lately, and a character that comes to mind here (even though he's not really in either category you're talking about) is Ziggy. I'm 9 episodes deep into Season 2, and I quickly grew to hate Ziggy. Now that I'm nearing the end of Season 2, my opinion is changing.

But, like I said, you can chalk that up more to David Simon and the show's writers intentionally playing with the audiences feelings toward certain types of characters. Moreover, that character is meant to have that sort of arc.

The character Jonas in Twister. Within a moment of meeting him, we're informed that "He's in it the money, not the science!" That's it. There is only one scene in the movie that may show him as being a dick, and that's not pulling over to help them out. Other than that, he's only the bad guy because the script says so.

And while we're at it, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. They're only bad guys because they eat meat. It's not like they're out scheming (well, the raptors maybe), but none of it is really their fault. At least the saving grace is that the people are only trying to get the hell away from them and not kill them.

I am a few episodes behind Josh in my Wire watching and I'm no fan of Ziggy. I thought that was intentional though...

Yeah, like I said, it's the closest answer I have to the question, but it doesn't really fit. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to at least be annoyed by him.

I know I'm not even halfway through The Wire, as a series, but I cannot possibly imagine tiring of Omar.

I'm still only up to episode 2 of season 5, but yeah. Agreed. Omar is fucking fantastic the whole way through.

I'll echo Jack in Lost until about season 4, and I also hated Sayid for a while too - he just seemed boring but won me over in the end. Peter Petrelli in Heroes always annoyed the shit out of me and I wanted him dead so much.

How can you hate Sayid?

The first two things he does are prise a guy's fingernails off and then bangs the All-American Blonde Prom queen with his dirty Arab penis.

• Like 3

You know when a bad guy is so good at what they do, you want them to win in the end (Craig Bellamy when he's playing for Team GB, Daniel Bryan right now, William Regal, even Jericho to a certain Extent). Jamie Lannister just has a Charisma that makes me want to listen to what he has to say and I'm kind of rooting for him because beyond Arya, the Starks are a bit dull.

Deadwood's villains. Swearengen is supposed to be an antihero or lovable rogue, so he doesn't count. But I love Tolliver, he's such a buffoon it's adorable. Hearst was amazing, probably my favorite real villain ever (real villain meaning truly hateable, he wasn't cool or likeable at all, and his charisma was always dictatorial or sadistic). Garrett Dillahunt's turn as Wolcott made me a huge fan of his. I'm not even sure they really fit as I wasn't exactly rooting for them to do well, I just really liked those characters. Pretty much everyone in Deadwood was good, though.