The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Saw the film tonight. Really Really enjoyed it a lot, the characters were interested albeit felt a little bit on the thin side when it came to fleshing people out, but the people playing the characters made it work excellently despite all that. And it felt fresh to explore the Rebellion behind the Skywalker's, and see the ordinary souls that do extraordinary things to make it all be possible for the heroes to do their thing. It really felt like the most 'human' film of them all, because of it.

Also loved all the call backs to the other Star Wars films, with cameos here and there and so many crowd pleasing moments and set pieces. And HK-47 can go home, because K2 is officially my most beloved droid ever, his dry sarcasm added the perfect amount of humour to the film.

I also didn't mind the slight overuse of CGI either, nor did I mind Vader being reduced to a crowd-popper and getting a few one liners and moments that do little to add to the story at hand.

My only real complaint, I will spoiler for the people that haven't yet been spoilered. But I assume most people that have seen the film know what i'm going to say.

I really didn't like that they went out of their way to ensure not a single character would walk away from it as a loose end. With the entire crew being killed on the planet, and Saw dying on Jedha for no real reason, it kinda left me slightly annoyed at the end. Because after Bodhi got blown up, I knew in my mind that nobody was going to walk away alive, and that's a real shame because I felt that there was potential for a bunch of the characters as extended universe characters... But it wasn't to be, and that's dissapointing to me.

Eh, I understand why though.

Spoiler

It's a one-off story set in the past, they kinda have to explain why Jyn and Cassian and everyone else don't show up in the main movies. Because they're dead. It also, imo, makes the story of the theft of the Death Star plans that much more powerful - all of these people had to sacrifice their lives and fight a losing battle on Scarif, in order to give the Rebellion hope.

BTW, Star Wars: Rebels is set pre-Rogue One and features Saw Gerrera, as voiced by Forrest Whitaker.

Last I read was that they were in talks with her family about using her likeness, similar to what they did with Peter Cushing. CGI shit. 

As I understand it, it's an ongoing discussion; she's filmed all her scenes for VIII, and it becomes an issue of how they approach it moving forwards - re-cast, use CGI, or write her out, as she was apparently intended to be a major part of IX. I think the best choice would be to write her out - yes, it will cost more to do necessary re-shoots and re-writes to make it work, but actors and studios are insured for exactly that reason

I get the need to do it with Cushing, as much as I think they overused it. He's a vital part of A New Hope, so they felt he needed to fit in to Rogue One to make the prequel work. Moving forward, you can't argue that they need Leia to continue to be part of the story when the option to re-write the story is still there. It would be more poignant, and add another human, emotional layer, if her character was allowed to die of natural causes, with no pomp or circumstance, between films. Have Leia's funeral be the opening scene of IX if need be, just don't use the possibility of CGI to drag things on needlessly. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In all cases, the worst thing about CGI is it makes directors think they can do anything, when the best art comes from working around what you can't do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoN_ said:

That would mean that the Luke we saw at the end of Force Awakens was a force ghost.:P

Not necessarily, Rey could be the 'last' one in chronological time. But this is of course just semantics.

I hope the huge twist is that C3PO is actually the last Jedi, and an ultimate bad ass.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 20:22, stokeriño said:

It's been noted that 'Jedi' can also be the plural, so it needn't just be the one.

I think this is where they may be going with this.

Finally saw it and loved it. Understand some of the vague criticisms but CGI real people are definitely getting better, I think you could look past it.

Does anyone know what the Trump snowflakes were up in arms about though? I can't remember any particularly obvious references bar what Star Wars has been about for 40 years, were they expecting the Empire to suddenly be portrayed as good guys?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Colly said:

Finally saw it and loved it. Understand some of the vague criticisms but CGI real people are definitely getting better, I think you could look past it.

Does anyone know what the Trump snowflakes were up in arms about though? I can't remember any particularly obvious references bar what Star Wars has been about for 40 years, were they expecting the Empire to suddenly be portrayed as good guys?

I guess /r/The_Donald are working together with /r/theempiredidnothingwrong

Also, I never realized Tarkin was CGI until I read about it afterwards. So colour me fooled. Although naturally, I knew that Leia and Mothma was CGI'd younger...

• Like 2