The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Finale:

Spoiler

As far as endings go, I don't think you can do it much better than how this season ended. I don't for one second think that Disney will allow them to stop here, but if this is the last season of the Mandalorian as a show then they nailed it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Finale:

Hide contents

As far as endings go, I don't think you can do it much better than how this season ended. I don't for one second think that Disney will allow them to stop here, but if this is the last season of the Mandalorian as a show then they nailed it.

Its been renewed for S4 already

• 5 months later...

So the first season of Ashoka is in the books. And what an amazing season it was. As someone who never watched Clone Wars (neither the CG version or the traditionally animated one) or Rebels, I was afraid that I would be totally lost. But I have to say that they did a great job of telling a story and introducing these characters that didn't make me feel left out at all.

Spoiler

Except for Ezra Bridger. I still don't get what is so special about him. If there is one thing I'm disappointed about, it is that they won't be able to bring Baylan Skoll storyline to a satisfactory conclusion given Ray Stevenson's untimely passing. Truth be told, his and Shin Hati's story was the one I was invested in the most. Unless they re-cast the character. Which I hope they will.

And Thrawn isn't the tactical genius they make him out to be. I like the way they present him and how Lars Mikkelsen plays him. But the writing of the character doesn't back up the hype of him being the smartest, most calculating imperial officer.

Edited by Hellraiser

• 1 month later...

Someone on Reddit shared a vague theory about Rey intending to have been Anakin reincarnated but was vetoed, and I actually kind of dig the idea even if the theory isn't massively thought out.

Spoiler

Rey was meant to be Anakin reincarnated but the studio chickened out

The most recent trilogy didn’t make much sense, especially the last move the Rise of Skywalker.

However one single change could have made sure it all made some sense - Rey was actually Anakin Skywalker reincarnated. It would explain:

- Why Anakin’s lightsaber flew to Rey and not Kylo during their duel
- Why Rey thought she was a no one with no parents but in fact was indeed someone very important
- Why she was such an excellent Jedi with virtually no training
- Her weird connection to Luke, Kylo and indeed to Palpatine
-  Why she was indeed truly a Skywalker, per the movie’s title

My fan theory this was the plan and it would have made the last movie half decent. However, because of all the backlash from recent Disney works, the studio feared they would be attacked as another supposed woke plot. Ironically, their fear of promoting some sort of gender swapping tanked the movie.

Taika Waititi says that his Star Wars movie is still happening and that it "will piss people off": https://variety.com/2023/film/news/taika-waititi-star-wars-next-goal-wins-1235791673/

After Thor: Love and Thunder I'm not as excited about the prospect of a Waititi helmed Star Wars movie as I used to.

For me the humor in Love and Thunder a) almost never landed and b) felt like it basically overwhelmed everything else. Like, the Gorr origin scene that opens the movie sums up the entire movie for me, because Christian Bale is doing great acting but opposite him is basically a goofy-ass sitcom character, like a What We Do in the Shadows version of an evil god, completely undercutting the drama. So I'm also basically in the "oh, I don't know how excited I am about this" camp but if his movie is a totally new set of characters in a relatively unexplored part of the galaxy it could be pretty good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Backed by Elon Musk, Gina Carano sues Disney over ‘Mandalorian’ firing

Just so we're clear, I fully support Elon backing Gina in this case.

Because I've found watching him burn money to be extremely entertaining

• Haha 1

Whilst I have no desire for her to win this in any form, part of me would love it if they were forced to rehire her, and in the opening scene of the next Star Wars TV show they mention that Cara Dune was killed off-screen.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Colly said:

Was she actually sacked, or did they just not bring her back?

Her contract was terminated.

Basically she had a few notable tirades against the trans community, had rants about COVID mandates, and compared people's criticism of her political views as being on the same level as the persecution of the Jews during the holocaust.

I would assume she had a few morality clauses in her deal that gave Lucasfilm all the power to terminate her contract.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've decided I want to celebrate May 4th this year with a Star Wars marathon. Thought I might start a groupwatch if people were up for it. Then realised Disney+ at some point quietly removed that feature. Lame.

Still, could do it individually if enough are interested and have some kind of group chat. Just throwing it out there.