The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Yeah I loved the finale. It ticked so many boxes of things that are very much for me.

Spoiler

The shootout was a blast. I had a lot of hope with Robert Rodriguez we'd get some Desperado and we sure did.

Agreed about Grogu taking a nap next to the rancor being an all-timer. Other great Grogu scene with him tapping the window of their ship asking Mando to jump to hyperspace at the very end.

• Like 1

You know, I got to thinking that Chewbacca doesn't or didn't actually need that medal. In the Legends stories, Chewie becomes the first member of the gang to buy it. In the sequel trilogy, he's the last man standing. 

• 3 weeks later...

really struggling to get invested in an Obi-Wan Kenobi series. 

I loved Book Of Boba Fett - I'm a sucker for Star Wars as Space Western, and think that the criminal underworld on Tattooine is by far the most interesting part of the Star Wars Universe, but the operative word there is Universe, and that means there's more to it than Tattooine! 

Star Wars is at is best when its fleshing out minor details - I loved seeing a little bit more of how the Tusken Raiders' society operates, beyond them just being vague threats - and giving the suggestion of a larger universe; the reason Mos Eisley Cantina is the best scene in the whole original trilogy is because it gives the impression of a dozen other stories all going on at the same time as the one you're watching, and of characters that all have their own thing going on, you just happen to be focused on one narrative. It makes the universe feel vast, and alive. The prequel trilogy actively conspired to make that universe smaller, by drawing utterly needless and bizarre connections - Yoda and Chewbacca being mates, Darth Vader building C3PO, Stormtroopers being clones of Jango Fett, Jango Fett in general, they were all terrible creative choices and the franchise is weaker for every one of them.

An Obi-Wan Kenobi prequel series is just going to be more of that. Because it's introducing at least one new lightsaber-wielding baddy, and because it's sending Obi-Wan off on adventures. So it undermines Obi-Wan as being an old hermit keeping a low profile by the time of A New Hope, and it makes a mockery of an already ridiculously truncated timeline.

In A New Hope, Han Solo doesn't believe in The Force, nobody seems to have heard of the Jedi, and even people who work with Darth Vader mock it as an old religion. It feels like something from ancient history, kept alive by only a few adherents. Except, given the timeline between Episode III and Episode IV, it's only been 19 years since Jedi were not only pretty widespread and known to everyone, but since they essentially ran the entire universe. Hell, the current Emperor was a senator in that government! How do people not remember this?! To further flesh out the time in-between the two movies with more Jedi and Force antics, and new Sith baddies, makes that even more preposterous.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skummy said:

An Obi-Wan Kenobi prequel series is just going to be more of that. Because it's introducing at least one new lightsaber-wielding baddy, and because it's sending Obi-Wan off on adventures. So it undermines Obi-Wan as being an old hermit keeping a low profile by the time of A New Hope, and it makes a mockery of an already ridiculously truncated timeline.

In A New Hope, Han Solo doesn't believe in The Force, nobody seems to have heard of the Jedi, and even people who work with Darth Vader mock it as an old religion. It feels like something from ancient history, kept alive by only a few adherents. Except, given the timeline between Episode III and Episode IV, it's only been 19 years since Jedi were not only pretty widespread and known to everyone, but since they essentially ran the entire universe. Hell, the current Emperor was a senator in that government! How do people not remember this?! To further flesh out the time in-between the two movies with more Jedi and Force antics, and new Sith baddies, makes that even more preposterous.

Basically exactly how I feel. The entire idea to me was that the last few Jedi out there all went into hiding on far-flung worlds. The generation that grew up after the Clone Wars and were the majority of the officers in the Empire at the time of episode IV reasonably could have just thought all the stuff about The Force was some old hokey religion that was finally done away with along with the Republic. The older officers could have felt it best to not talk about any of it since the Emperor clearly didn't want people searching for it, etc. All of that makes sense.

But they're going to keep creating storylines where more and more regular people see Jedi and Sith and to imply word doesn't travel throughout the galaxy is pretty silly. If all the Jedi were in hiding it holds that the propaganda worked, if they're off having adventures it doesn't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I enjoyed the first episode of Obi-Wan…except

Spoiler

Of course it’s got to be Leia being kidnapped that gets him out of hiding. 

Love the Inquisitors though! 

Spoiler

so is Obi-Wan the Mandalorian/Din, and Leia is the Child? Is that what's going to happen here? An entire season of Obi-Wan trying to get her back home while evading Reva and Vader?

Watched the first episode of Obi-Wan and will probably move on to the next once I get some work done.

Spoiler

Initially at least, not a fan at all of the Third Sister/Inquisitor stuff. 

Enjoyed moooost everything else though, especially when I realized there was going to be a Leia part to this, and that we wouldn't just have to be sitting on Tatooine for another whole series. Very very very much enjoyed Owen and Bail.

Episode 2 down now as well.

Spoiler

Softened a bit on the Third Sister and Inquisitor storyline.

KUMAIL! Love that he's in this and he did his part excellent.

I'm really enjoying this so far. The tone is great, the Leia stuff I'm really digging and the setting for the second episode was a breath of fresh air.

I bounced off the Mandolorian pretty damn hard - but this I'm feeling a hell of a lot more and I'm thinking that Ewan McGregor is the reason for it primarily.

Watched both episodes really enjoyed it so far. Ewan McGregor is probably the main reason for that, just plays the role perfectly and was always my favourite part of the prequels.

Slight episode 2 spoiler open.

Spoiler

That reveal at the end! Vader in the bafta tank and seeing Hayden Christensen as Anakin/Vader again was great see even if it was revealed before hand.

Liking the Leia/Obi Wan dynamic so far.

Spoiler

The girl they found to play Leia couldn't have been chosen better if they'd made a clone of Carrie Fisher specifically to play a 10 year old version of her.

I'm really enjoying it, I do find myself anticipating the inevitable Liam Neeson appearance at little too much though.

• Like 1

Weird show but I generally am entertained by it:

Spoiler

1) Leia meeting Obi-Wan 9 years before A New Hope actually makes a ton of sense to establish why she sends the droids his way. She knows where he is and that she can trust him.

2) Any interaction with Vader is going to be ill-fitting but, hey, they had to make a show of it. 

3) The setting of the 2nd episode and the overall involvement of the inquisitors is really good. Seeing what happened of the Jedi who, when put to the fire, sided with the Empire is something I think works very well. It's something that happens in many, many conflicts - the idea of "collaborators" - and Star Wars would not be immune. Little bit to talk about how they never showed up before despite Vader and Palpatine dealing with a revived Jedi order in Return of the Jedi but alas.

Also, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, chuds are being racist online to Moses Ingram! Because of course...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, damhausen said:

Weird show but I generally am entertained by it:

Hide contents

1) Leia meeting Obi-Wan 9 years before A New Hope actually makes a ton of sense to establish why she sends the droids his way. She knows where he is and that she can trust him.

2) Any interaction with Vader is going to be ill-fitting but, hey, they had to make a show of it. 

3) The setting of the 2nd episode and the overall involvement of the inquisitors is really good. Seeing what happened of the Jedi who, when put to the fire, sided with the Empire is something I think works very well. It's something that happens in many, many conflicts - the idea of "collaborators" - and Star Wars would not be immune. Little bit to talk about how they never showed up before despite Vader and Palpatine dealing with a revived Jedi order in Return of the Jedi but alas.

Also, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, chuds are being racist online to Moses Ingram! Because of course...

Spoiler

It always did bother me in ANH when Luke recues her, and goes "I'm here with Ben Kenobi!" and Leia is all "BEN KENOBI?!" 

It was really more the fact that they said "Ben" instead of "Obi-Wan", and Leia probably would've been justified saying "Who the fuck is BEN Kenobi?"

47 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hide contents

It always did bother me in ANH when Luke recues her, and goes "I'm here with Ben Kenobi!" and Leia is all "BEN KENOBI?!" 

It was really more the fact that they said "Ben" instead of "Obi-Wan", and Leia probably would've been justified saying "Who the fuck is BEN Kenobi?"

Spoiler

Let's be real, George Lucas did NOT plan shit out.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I suppose the only complaint I might even have towards the third episode is Vader and Obi-Wan facing off. It seems like it happened a bit too fast, storywise, but with only six episodes to work with, I can understand why they made that decision. I guess in my own Star Wars head canon, the last Obi-Wan had seen of Anakin/Vader was when he was a smoldering mess on Mustafar at the end of ROTS, leading into the whole exchange when they face off in ANH. 

The highlight for me was stormtrooper versus barrier. Ouch. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Obi-Wan and Vader squaring off makes little sense. Obi-Wan's discovery that Vader is alive and maybe even an urge of his to chase after Vader does however. But it should be that, a chase that ends without them meeting face to face.

Of course they can't really present it that way on TV, you don't bring in Darth fucking Vader and not have him square off with your show's lead character.