The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Episode 3 spoilers

Spoiler

Can understand people being underwhelmed by the Darth Vader/Obi Wan meeting. What they are showing us that since the last meeting on Mustafa, Vader has gotten stronger as he is thriving off pain and hatred, even having his base on the planet where Obi Wan cut his limbs off forcing him to become Darth Vader.

On the opposite side, Obi Wan has had to deny the force for a decade, in order to stay hidden, Obi Wan is a shell of the jedi he was in the clone wars. Vader already knows this.

The end meeting between them was never about Darth Vader killing Obi Wan then and there, it was about torture, playing with Obi Wan and wanting him to feel the suffering he has to endure. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ruki said:

Is it just my TV, or are the dark scenes REALLY dark. Like, can hardly make anything out. I've noticed it with a lot of D+ shows. 

I think it's your TV.

My bedroom TV has the same issue, so when we watch stuff in there, it's noticeable.

My main television is considerably newer and better, and I never have a hard time making things out in the living room.

Episode 4 spoilers.

Spoiler

The use of the inquisitor base from the end of Jedi Fallen Order was a nice nod. As was the tomb, Obi Wan finds, Ewan in this scene was so good to watch, he shows the emotion and heartache so well. O'Shea Jackson was good to see, hopefully he gets more screen time next episode and explain his character a bit more, seemed a bit rushed his introduction. That opening scene in the bacta tank flickering between Obi Wan/Vader was so good and shows the reconnection in the force between them both. Indira Varma as Tala has been a real show stealer for me, really enjoyed her character 

2 minutes ago, IDOL said:

There’s something about the acting of the 3rd Sister that grates on me and I can’t really place it.

The best explanation I've seen is that she's acting like a 21st century American and that makes her feel out of place in the Star Wars universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just watched Episode 3, so my comments only apply to that point.

Spoiler

I am quite enjoying it so far. When Disney bought Star Wars, the one thing I really wanted was a Kenobi series or film set between 3 and 4, with Ewan McGregor playing him. I've got that, it plays around with Kenobi's relationship to Leia and conflict with Vader, there's not much more other than some Luke interaction that I feel I need to see.

I am however going to have to rewatch the original Star Wars film to work out how much they're stretching the canon with all these interactions. I was very surprised to see Vader and Kenobi face-to-face so quickly...I mean, Kenobi only found out Anakin was still alive the previous day, now he's fighting him? However, the scene and set pieces were very cool and I enjoyed the fire thing. A bit jarring that Vader just stood there and allowed Kenobi to be saved, but I can live with it - he was indeed trying to torture him rather than just kill him so, sure.

Anyway, all in all I am enjoying it...maybe not quite as much as The Mandalorian...but it is more than good enough to satisfy my Obi-Wan Kenobi itch at this stage.

On which note...does anyone think there'd ever be scope to "remake" the original trilogy, either as films or a series, with McGregor/Christensen and whoever? That way you could explore elements like the Inquisitors that have only really come into play in modern iterations, and the original films are getting on for 40-50 years old now, you'd not ordinarily balk at seeing a beloved film or series remade in a modern image when that amount of time has passed.

God I hope not. Putting aside the fact that the pressure to make them good would be insane, you've also got the fact that pretty much everything Star Wars related spirals out from thar original Episode 4.

I watched Solo again yesterday (not as bad as people say, and if we don't get more Donald Glover Lando we've missed out on a good thing), and while I appreciate that's a very extreme example, almost every story beat, musical cue etc hinges on you having seen the others first. The first time you see the Falcon there's like a 10 second pause with some music, which if you haven't seen A New Hope where it's presented without fanfare and Luke calling it shite means nothing at all. There's a bit where Han needs a copilot and tells Qi'ra to sit down, and Chewie looks a bit sad in the background. My worry is if they remade the first three, they'd add those reverential bits in, but then you've got this horrible loop of nostalgia where you're referencing the film you no longer want kids to watch. The odd Easter egg is fine, but so much Star Wars now is "you know this guy!" and I'd be terrified they'd add that to an original trilogy remake where it wouldn't belong.

Fingers crossed it wouldn't happen at least for a long time given the modern stuff still includes Harrison Ford etc, and they've just spent however much on deaging Mark Hamill. Maybe one day they'll just knock out a wholly CGI remake featuring the long dead uncanny valley faces of the original cast...

As an aside, I did read someone suggest on Twitter a Lando's Tales type show, where Billy-Dee Williams sits down to tell stories of his past played by Glover. I really want that now.

• Like 4

Episode 5 spoilers

Spoiler

Easily the best episode for me. With the flashbacks off Obi Wan and Anakin training. To order 66 from The Third Sisters point of a view as a youngling, to exploring the reason for her rage and hatred aimed at Anakin, her blaming Obi Wan for not being there, the same regrets Obi Wan himself carries. To the Grand Inquistor coming back next to Vader, the episode was great. Sad to see Tala go as was one of my favourite characters introduced in this show. To the end scene of Reva having the communication off Bail Organa mentioning Luke on tattoine

On 09/06/2022 at 06:15, IDOL said:

Yes! 

Yup, that hits the nail on the head pretty well.

Spoiler

Her killing the Grand Inquisitor who was a far more entertaining character didn't do anything to endear me to her character either.

• Like 1

Spoiler

With a cliffhanger like that and this sudden influx of information, there's no way this is just going to be one season, right? 

15 hours ago, IDOL said:

Damn, say what you will about what Disney has done with the franchise, but they’ve handled Darth Vader like an absolute boss

Between this and Fallen Order they really have built him back up to being the badass he was in the original trilogy, his penchant for fighting by just standing there and swaying out of the way of or force blocking light saber strikes is so much fun. Ep 5 below.

Spoiler

I thought this was the best episode by far, maybe because Episode V seems to have that effect no matter the subject in Star Wars. All of the battles were great, as well as the return of Rupert Friend who just kills it in the most outlandish way possible.

Older Hayden Christensen portraying young Anakin was a little off-putting, but that's the only nit-pick.

• Like 3

My son watched A New Hope and after Luke blew up the Death Star he turned to me and said "He just killed everyone on there and there could have been good guys on there". I died laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RPS said:

My son watched A New Hope and after Luke blew up the Death Star he turned to me and said "He just killed everyone on there and there could have been good guys on there". I died laughing. 

Well, yeah. Considering this is how he looks when he's killing stormtroopers (who've been instructed to intentionally miss):

Luke's shooting face looks like he's asking if you've ever danced with the  devil in the pale moonlight. : r/OTMemes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mick said:

Well, yeah. Considering this is how he looks when he's killing stormtroopers (who've been instructed to intentionally miss):

Luke's shooting face looks like he's asking if you've ever danced with the  devil in the pale moonlight. : r/OTMemes

This was part of a larger conversation about how he felt Darth Vader was a good guy. I asked him "well he killed Obi Wan" and he said "no Obi Wan used magic he's still alive". It's not true but I know when he shows up as a ghost he will try to claim being correct.

• Like 1