The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Spoiler

Getting the "Hello there!" meme and the Neeson appearance in the space of a minute was quite a lot for my poor little brain to comprehend.

I have no idea if there's going to be a second season, but I think they've tied up everything for A New Hope, the major outstanding part was why Vader thought Obi-Wan was the master in their New Hope battle after Vader kicked his ass in episode 3, but this episode's curb-stomping sorted that out.

Spoiler

Wow. Just wow. They managed to make the Vader/Anakin and Obi Wan relationship even more tragic. "Goodbye... Darth" broke my fucking heart.

My only complaint is that Reva felt entirely redundant throughout the entire show. Like, you could take her out and replace her with a generic bounty hunter and nothing would really change. Maybe I'm missing something about her but she just never connected with me, and given I've just finished Fallen Order yesterday, her story of being a surviving padawan was weak in comparison to the story told there.

But yeah, there was a real risk this show could have been fan service just to have Obi Wan, but it really feels like it bridged a gap in Anakin becoming Vader and Obi Wan living with his failures.

• Like 1

Thoughts on episode 6, there's only so hard my prequel nerd boner can get.

Actual Episode 6 thoughts

Spoiler

Honestly the way they've played the Anakin/Vader and Obi Wan scenes have been brilliant, the mask being cut in half seeing half Vader/Anakin like in Rebels with Ahsoka. Obi Wan admitting his friend was dead and noticing his biggest failure, was so well played and emotional.

Owen Lars being a pure bad ass and standing up to Reva because of his love for Luke.

Reva's arc of trying to get 'justice' against the boy Vader at this point doesn't know he has is a really quite poorly executed idea in fairness, I get trying to flesh her character out but she could have been replaced by any bounty hunter or inquisitor in that role.

He said the thing and force ghost Qui-Gon in as many moments was too much excitement to cope with. 

It might not have been as strong as The Mandalorian but I have really enjoyed this. From Obi-Wan's struggles with reconnecting with the force and Vader growing more and more powerful from rage/hatred alone but making it so his arrogance still costs him ties into a New Hope so well which I didn't think they could do.

Disney has gotten alot of slack for some of the stuff they've but what they have done in bridging the prequels and sequel's together  has been really good, not just counting the shows, but even what I imagine they have put in towards the games, books/comics etc.

On 03/06/2022 at 16:34, Ruki said:

Is it just my TV, or are the dark scenes REALLY dark. Like, can hardly make anything out. I've noticed it with a lot of D+ shows. 

Episode 6 is the first time I've ever seen my TV get black crush because of how dark something was.  Had to switch my dolbyvision settings to get it to stop.

Overall this show wound up just okay.

Spoiler

It was nice to fill in some minor gaps with regards to Obi-Wan and Anakin. I didn't really need Leia in this though. And everything with the Inquisitors and Reva was handled so sloppily. It was just like they needed someone else besides Vader in the show and worked with that. 

Basically better ways to get from point a to point b than what they wound up choosing. Kind of made for a show that mostly will be forgettable in my eyes.

I think Obi-Wan Kenobi is the most I've fanboyed for a new Star Wars thing. I was part of that generation who was Special Edition in the cinema, saw the prequels at the cinema and kept up with Clone Wars (Genndy's). There's so many little details, especially in the fight scenes.

That being said, this could probably have been condensed into an Episode 3.5 film.

Spoiler

While I love mini-Leia, it is a wee bit odd she doesn't seem to know Obi-Wan later on. Kids who are 10 definitely remember important people. Same for Luke...did he just forget being randomly hunted down that one night? The writers seem aware of this obvious gripe, since thy have Obi-Wan say "No one must know or it will endanger us both".

Felt the Third Sister's redemption arc was pretty weak. And why introduce such an awesome character like Tala to then kill her off? That really saddened me.

Vader telling Obi-Wan that Vader killed Anakin finally gives Obi-Wan a bit of a reprieve for kind of  misleading Luke all those years later.

Loved Beru and Owen showing how tough they are, as if moisture farming on a desert planet wasn't tough enough. I'd like to think in another timeline they have usurped the Hutts! :D 

I also loved seeing Obi-Wan get to show off all his intrinsic skills - defence and deflection, stealth, 

After loving Mandalorian and hating Book of Boba Fett (still can't bring myself to watch any more), this rests just below Mandalorian for me.

I haven't watched any of the Disney plus shows or extended universe stuff, and was sort of not fussed about the sequel trilogy. Is it still worth watching Obi-Wan just to see how the Vader stuff plays out?

5 hours ago, Kaney said:

I haven't watched any of the Disney plus shows or extended universe stuff, and was sort of not fussed about the sequel trilogy. Is it still worth watching Obi-Wan just to see how the Vader stuff plays out?

Yes

• Thanks 1

My one complaint with Obi-Wan Kenobi was that there was no way Kenobi went front a 50ish year old looking man in the show to a 70ish year old looking man in A New Hope in just the nine years between the series and the movie.

Then I found out that there is only a ten year difference between Ewan McGregor's age when filming the series, and Alec Guinness' age when filming A New Hope, making their characters ages line up almost perfectly. Amazing.

On 25/06/2022 at 18:56, Kaney said:

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Finale:

That final interaction between Vader and Obi Wan may be my favorite few moments in all of Star Wars.

Spoiler

“Anakin?”

”Anakin is gone. I am what remains.”

”I’m sorry Anakin! I’m sorry… for all of it”

”I am not your failure Obi Wan… you didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker *light changes to red* - I did! Just like I will destroy you!”

”Then my friend is truly dead. Goodbye… Darth”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/06/2022 at 23:57, damhausen said:

Overall this show wound up just okay.

Hide contents

It was nice to fill in some minor gaps with regards to Obi-Wan and Anakin. I didn't really need Leia in this though. And everything with the Inquisitors and Reva was handled so sloppily. It was just like they needed someone else besides Vader in the show and worked with that. 

Basically better ways to get from point a to point b than what they wound up choosing. Kind of made for a show that mostly will be forgettable in my eyes.

Having just finished the finale, I agree with this. 

Spoiler

I don't know, man. If you're going to do a series with established characters that you know where the story is ending, the thrill comes in the journey and the journey just wasn't there. There was some awesome action sequences and great character work, but it felt like there was some really sloppy decision making throughout. 

Such a big deal was made about Kenobi leaving Vader for dead at the end of Ep. 3 (the movie) and realizing he's still alive and how it was a mistake to then... Repeat the same mistake? What? I would have much rather seen a moment of vulnerability from Vader where he leaves Kenobi for dead before recommitting after his meeting with Palalpatine (claiming him weak) as almost a reverse of Episode 3. That would set up stakes in a stronger way, IMO. 

Ehh, anyway. It was okay. I'd much rather watch series about side characters we don't know anything about (Mando) as it helps me invest more in their story. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2022 at 21:36, The Kraig said:

I think Obi-Wan Kenobi is the most I've fanboyed for a new Star Wars thing. I was part of that generation who was Special Edition in the cinema, saw the prequels at the cinema and kept up with Clone Wars (Genndy's). There's so many little details, especially in the fight scenes.

That being said, this could probably have been condensed into an Episode 3.5 film.

Hide contents

While I love mini-Leia, it is a wee bit odd she doesn't seem to know Obi-Wan later on. Kids who are 10 definitely remember important people. Same for Luke...did he just forget being randomly hunted down that one night? The writers seem aware of this obvious gripe, since thy have Obi-Wan say "No one must know or it will endanger us both".

Felt the Third Sister's redemption arc was pretty weak. And why introduce such an awesome character like Tala to then kill her off? That really saddened me.

Vader telling Obi-Wan that Vader killed Anakin finally gives Obi-Wan a bit of a reprieve for kind of  misleading Luke all those years later.

Loved Beru and Owen showing how tough they are, as if moisture farming on a desert planet wasn't tough enough. I'd like to think in another timeline they have usurped the Hutts! :D 

I also loved seeing Obi-Wan get to show off all his intrinsic skills - defence and deflection, stealth, 

After loving Mandalorian and hating Book of Boba Fett (still can't bring myself to watch any more), this rests just below Mandalorian for me.

On your first spoiler bit:

Spoiler

Leia does know Obi-Wan in the original film, no? She sends the droids to get him to help, and says "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope". I feel like the entire Leia storyline here was in service of building that backstory, that and they originally wrote a story apparently too similar to Mando and The Child.

I did have that thought about Luke though. I suppose he never saw a lightsaber, didn't know who Obi-Wan was at the time and was told tusken raiders were the threat. 

I've just finished this series, as Covid derailed me originally, and I did enjoy it. Ewan McGregor's presence always made that likely though.

19 minutes ago, Adam said:

On your first spoiler bit:

Hide contents

Leia does know Obi-Wan in the original film, no? She sends the droids to get him to help, and says "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope". I feel like the entire Leia storyline here was in service of building that backstory, that and they originally wrote a story apparently too similar to Mando and The Child.

I did have that thought about Luke though. I suppose he never saw a lightsaber, didn't know who Obi-Wan was at the time and was told tusken raiders were the threat. 

I've just finished this series, as Covid derailed me originally, and I did enjoy it. Ewan McGregor's presence always made that likely though.

Spoiler

Yeah, she even knew that he was called Ben, so yeah, she definitely knew Obi-Wan in the original trilogy.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 13:55, IDOL said:

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Finale:

That final interaction between Vader and Obi Wan may be my favorite few moments in all of Star Wars.

Hide contents

“Anakin?”

”Anakin is gone. I am what remains.”

”I’m sorry Anakin! I’m sorry… for all of it”

”I am not your failure Obi Wan… you didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker *light changes to red* - I did! Just like I will destroy you!”

”Then my friend is truly dead. Goodbye… Darth”

Strong second. Obi-Wan did not need to be a TV show, there's parts that definitely could have been moved around and removed, but the crux of the entire thing is strong that I didn't really think about any of that until after it all finished. That final interaction is also my favourite, even more so when you realise how many implications it has and informing it does.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2022 at 07:55, IDOL said:

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Finale:

Reveal hidden contents

My only issue with that is...

Spoiler

Obi-wan calling him "Darth" sounded dumb.  Call him Vader, like everyone else does for the rest of the saga, because that's his name and Darth is just a title.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Hide contents

Obi-wan calling him "Darth" sounded dumb.  Call him Vader, like everyone else does for the rest of the saga, because that's his name and Darth is just a title.

Spoiler

But referring to him by title works just as well, and links to Alec Guiness calling Vader that. All fully planned in 1977 of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

They wrote the "Goodbye, Darth" line to close the continuity with the original film, because Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan called him Darth in their lightsaber scene before Lucas decided that "Darth" was a title rather than Vader's forename. And it's never made canon sense in retrospect until this new series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well, I've just finished Andor season 1, and by far the finest modern 'Star Wars' we had so far.  Roll on Season 2.

Spoiler

It provides deep context as to how evil characters like Darth Vader, Palpatine, Darth Maul and all their buddies are, what they really represent, and why the rebellion was important.

It shows the Empire's oppression in a way that we all understand, not with acrobatic martial arts and laser swords and space battles (which is actually cool, who the hell didn't want a double-ended lightsabre or to be able to force choke your enemies???), but with monotonous mind-numbing, soul-destroying work and the removal of any dignity afforded to the vulnerable and a complete void of empathy and bullying underpinning all of it. Being a prisoner of the Empire is like being in the most toxic workplace in the universe, where people of little stature are given big sticks and guns.

Andor, for me at least, has recalibrated every Star Wars film and series before it and made them better by showing what's at stake and giving the rebellion greater relevancy...that's pretty impressive.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2022 at 05:31, fourstarfizzle said:

Well, I've just finished Andor season 1, and by far the finest modern 'Star Wars' we had so far.  Roll on Season 2.

Reveal hidden contents

It provides deep context as to how evil characters like Darth Vader, Palpatine, Darth Maul and all their buddies are, what they really represent, and why the rebellion was important.

It shows the Empire's oppression in a way that we all understand, not with acrobatic martial arts and laser swords and space battles (which is actually cool, who the hell didn't want a double-ended lightsabre or to be able to force choke your enemies???), but with monotonous mind-numbing, soul-destroying work and the removal of any dignity afforded to the vulnerable and a complete void of empathy and bullying underpinning all of it. Being a prisoner of the Empire is like being in the most toxic workplace in the universe, where people of little stature are given big sticks and guns.

Andor, for me at least, has recalibrated every Star Wars film and series before it and made them better by showing what's at stake and giving the rebellion greater relevancy...that's pretty impressive.

About to start this once I’ve finished watching Pepsi, Where’s My Jet. Trying to avoid all the hysterical reaction about things nowadays, most of it completely overblown.