The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

I'm not sure if the Lord and Miller version would've been better, but it certainly would have felt cohesive. Instead we got a movie with a bunch of ideas uprooted by Disney's desire for brand synergy. Similar to Rogue One, you could see if they just let the directors did their own thing and not be hyper-focused on the sprawling universe it'd have been handled better.

Nobody still seems to have any idea what they want Star Wars to be, but I felt Rogue One and especially Solo were the two most prominent examples of this.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IDOL said:

Yup, I posted this in another thread, but that first episode flew by and I was surprised when the credits rolled.

I just remember flat out saying somewhere around what must have been the 3/4 mark of the show "wait, this is only 34 minutes or so?" and it still went on to feel like it packed so much into that space. I'm excited to watch it as it comes out if I can keep it up.

This isn't much of a hot take, but Boba Fett is such a great character, and this series is so captivating to watch.

Temuera Morrison is almost certainly the reason for both of those statements, everything he does is sublime. Especially his psychotic "I'm gonna smash you" facial expressions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

This isn't much of a hot take, but Boba Fett is such a great character, and this series is so captivating to watch.

Temuera Morrison is almost certainly the reason for both of those statements, everything he does is sublime. Especially his psychotic "I'm gonna smash you" facial expressions.

Loving everything about this series, yeah. I was initially excited for The Mandolorian but I think I kind of petered off and dipped in and out for it. Exploring this story is waaaaaay more interesting in my books.

42 minutes ago, apsham said:

Loving everything about this series, yeah. I was initially excited for The Mandolorian but I think I kind of petered off and dipped in and out for it. Exploring this story is waaaaaay more interesting in my books.

Do your books happen to be Books of Boba Fett?

Boba ep 2

Spoiler

Hi, yes, I'd like 1000 more episodes of Boba Fett and the Tusken Raiders doing cool shit together.

Also loved that we finally visited Tosche Station. I mean, those of us who've seen the deleted scene technically already have but now we went there for reals. Pretty cool.

BOBA EP. 2

Spoiler

I reeeaaaally dug that episode.

That said, I’m a bit torn on it. It plays with some old, familiar tropes (as has most everything in this and The Mandalorian - perhaps Star Wars as a whole), specifically tales of outsiders learning the ways of an indigenous tribe, finding solidarity, and saving them. Soooo, I’m left wondering if we got into some quasi-White Saviorism/exotification of “simpler” tribes.

I also fully get that we’re dealing with fictional people, races, tribes, etc., so I can’t say I feel certain on the matter. I just can’t see those old tropes evoked and not wonder.

Not directly related but I had to share since my mind is slightly blown. I only just realised Ming-Na Wen was Chun Li in Street Fighter, but that led me down the deeper rabbit hole of "she looks young in that". She was 31. She's nearly 60. Someone find out what her secret is and sell it.

On 05/01/2022 at 14:02, Tigerstyle said:

That episode was boring

I am much more in this camp than the other I guess. Like, it's fine. But I don't find any of this super compelling. I thought the same thing about the first half of Mando until it really picked up IMO in the second half. Willing to see it through but I wish they'd choose a path (past or present) moreso than jumping back and forth at weirdly uneven efforts. 

11 hours ago, IDOL said:

Episode 3

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed

Spoiler

I like them as a concept but the execution is terrible.  This gang of out of work 20 year olds have these shiny, colorful, better condition than most every other vehicle in Star Wars speeder vespas?  It just looks silly and out of place 

How much of The Mandalorian do I need to watch prior to the Boba Fett series? I still think Fett is one of the most overrated characters, but the trailer looks intriguing and the show might change my mind. Plus I'm a big fan of Ming-Na.

On 15/01/2022 at 06:54, damshow said:

You don't really need to watch any of Mando. He and Fennec are introduced there but there's nothing you really need from that show, at least right now.

I mean I wouldn't say Boba Fett was introduced  in the Mandalorian.

Don't forget he was in the Holiday Special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1