The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

Is the new Tyler album different from Goblin? I tried to like that but it was so shit except Yonkers.

I do like some of the stuff he's featured on though so I don't want to write him off altogether.

I dunno, I'd say its about the same but a little bit better. So far I've only found a few songs I like but that's better than Goblin because you are spot on that Yonkers was the only track that wasn't bad.

So I'd say check it out but don't expect your opinion to change too much.

Yeah, I think it's good. There are some really, really cool beats that are being used, but some of the stuff lyrically leaves a lot to be deserved. It works better as an album than Goblin does though.

Need to check out some new albums. Also trying to get into a lot of bands who're playing latitude?

And ooh, where can I check out Wavves new album?

Had a listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's stream of the new album. I try not to judge too much on the basis of one listen, especially for a band I like, but I'm really glad I didn't order a copy.

It's not bad, it just sounds like a bunch of average, vaguely-sounding Yeah Yeah Yeas songs. They had the awful album cover, the celebrity stunt-y music video and generated plenty of attention, but the melodies they previously had don't seem to be there. I'm determined to give it another listen but it left me feeling like they're out of ideas and making a bit of noise for the sake of it behind repetitive songs.

I find myself digging this because of how doom-y it is. It kind of amuses me that these last two albums have been my favorite AiC albums - primarily for that reason, that sort of bent towards doom metal in some songs like Lesson Learned and A Looking In View. I've never cared much for the band one way or the other before this.

http://www.rocksound.tv/news/article/fall-out-boy-stream-save-rock-and-roll-in-full

I can imagine a lot of Fall Out Boy diehards are going to hate this. But coming at it from the point of view that they're a different band (i.e. they're never going to touch the first three albums that I grew up with), I really like this. Still a bit glossy and poppy, but it's diverse.

I like what I've heard of Wavves, but I haven't been able to track down the new one, wasn't on Spotify or available to buy on Amazon's mp3 store.

The new Edwyn Collins is fantastic, as I'd hoped it would be. He's very gradually wormed his way into my list of all-time favourites. The cover of "Love's Been Good To Me" is absolutely beautiful.

Not sure about new Tegan & Sara; I still prefer them as a quaint little folk-y duo, I'm not really sold on them as an electro group. Luckily I still love the vocals.

New Billy Bragg is good too. Nothing too special lyrically, but it's got a good sound to it, and will make good background music.

Still got new Depeche Mode to get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of the new Sabbath at all. Could do with being four or five minutes shorter at least. There's just no dynamic to it, doesn't go anywhere. Bland and badly produced. Decent bass, though.

Not a fan of the new Sabbath at all. Could do with being four or five minutes shorter at least. There's just no dynamic to it, doesn't go anywhere. Bland and badly produced. Decent bass, though.

You know what is bad about it? It really misses Bill on drums. Snare drum and hi-hat just doesn't work for Black Sabbath. It's decent riffing but the drums make it sound like post-Black Album Metallica nonsense.

Oh, absolutely. That's definitely a big part of it. It doesn't help that it's a group of old men trying to write the same way they wrote thirty-plus years ago, of course. It just doesn't do anything for me. It's nice to see Sabbath at it again but, frankly, there are countless bands who do "Sabbath" now better than they're doing it.