The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

Thanks. The song doesn't really sound like the kind of music we normally make, we started somewhere in the Cramps mold but ended up going in this direction. It's just a shame we're working with iphones which don't really pick up the entirity of the guitar.

Will give Bowery Electric a listen, I hadn't heard of them before.

Will give Bowery Electric a listen, I hadn't heard of them before.

Please do, they are quite awesome. They are kind of like Portishead; downtempo, thick trip-hop and just overall very slow-moving and relaxing. Their debut album is fantastic and so is Beat, their second full-length. Lushlife, their final studio album, is a bit more rock-oriented and faster paced but still has great tracks like "Freedom Fighter".

http://www.supportbenjamincurtis.com/

Benjamin Curtis of Secret Machines and School of Seven Bells has Lymphoma :(

Though the line "even while he was here, he was trying to figure out a way to sample the MRI" is wonderful.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm so out of touch, no idea there was new Boris. Gonna have to add that to the list. This year is absolutely killing my "spend less money on music" resolution already.

New Bowie is fantastic; finally got it yesterday, and had chance to listen to most of it on the bus to work. It's not got quite as much of the Berlin-era sound to it, which I was hoping for given the reworked Heroes motif, but it's brilliant.

I'll just add in my thoughts and say that this new bowie album is fantastic.

Also, the new flaming lips song is fantastic, cannot wait for 'The Terror'

Echo the love for 20/20 Experience. I'd describe it as playful and complex at the same time. I think it's definitely a step up from FS/LS.

I can't comment on that but that reminds me: the review on Consequence of Sound was claiming that there was a backlash against Timberlake, before he stopped making music, for acting black? And that really confused me because I don't remember that being the case at all. Maybe I'm wrong?

I still need to listen to a majority of it but I'm impressed with what I've heard so far.

Pitchfork needed a paragraph and a half to make a Thriller comparison, so I think I'll just relent now and say that I don't fully 'get' the 20/20 Experience.

When I listen to it, I can see how it's divisive and some people aren't gonna like it. I think some people would tire of the longer songs and view it as repetitive, hate the lyrics and view it as a bit dated. Personally, I love it and think it is his strongest LP yet.

EDIT: Also don't think the Thriller label applies. If you wanna compare this to an MJ record, it's definitely gotta be Dangerous.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

New Clutch album is fantastic - never been a huge fan, though perhaps just because I've not heard all that much, so I wasn't going to bother picking it up, but listening to it in my girlfriend's car, it's great. Reminds me of The Dirtbombs - really funky, but nice and heavy at the same time.

Similarly, new John Grant sounds promising - will have to pick that up. Too many people making music this year, I'm going to bankrupt myself.

Oh, for fuck's sake, Iggy Pop and Edwyn Collins have new ones too!