The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

I don't mind the new Sabbath, but I do have to agree that it seems a bit too long. Could do with being a 4 or 5 minute song rather than 9. Drums definitely sounded a bit off too. I'm still looking forward to 13, though.

Geezer always brings it on bass. Always been one of my favorite parts of Sabbath.

Listening to the Daft Punk song, I'm just struck by how magical it sounds. It gives me that special feeling in my gut, like the first time I heard Stayin' Alive or Beat It or Like a Virgin. It's got that timeless pop brilliance too it. I mean, I guess that is what happens when you put 4 hugely influential and brilliant musicians together.

Speaking of Justin Timberlake and Daft Punk, I present you Justin Timberlake vs. Daft Punk in a brilliant Get Lucky vs. Suit & Tie mash up.

https://soundcloud.com/ravinsymone/get-lucky-suit-tie-daft-punk-x#play

It makes me feel all sexy inside.

• Like 1

Putting this here because it fits here as well as anywhere else;

http://www.subba-cultcha.com/music/john-baizley-nate-hall-steve-von-till-scott-kelly-songs-of-townes-van-zandt-10-out-now/

A review I wrote of the Record Store Day "Townes Of Van Zandt" release, by Steve Von Till & Scott Kelly out of Neurosis, and John Baizley out of off of Baroness.

• Like 1

I honestly think it is a really gutsy move. She made a huge indie and mainstream fan base with her last LP and her stuff with .fun. And this is basically like an attempt at a queer anthem. I love it, because I get the lyrical references and enjoy them, but I could see how it could definitely be a song that appeals to a small crowd. Like the first half of the song is basically just a bunch of drag references.

I didn't know about this! Listening to it...now.

I don't get the references but I love it. It is definitely different, but it's not a world away from her last album.

I was almost half expecting it to feature Erkyah Badu. These things usually do!

Really good song. it's a bit 90s RnB. Like TLC or something.

I didn't think much of the Badu verse at the end, honestly. I mean, it makes total sense that she is there but it is just... yeah.

Anyhow, what about all them rumors that Boards of Canada might join the list of comeback bands this year, eh?

Boards of Canada's New Album: Tomorrow's Harvest

So it's true: All those cryptic clues have been pointing to a new Boards of Canada album. Tomorrow's Harvest is out June 10 in the UK and June 11 in the U.S. via Warp. It's the band's first album since 2005's The Campfire Headphase and the 2006 Trans Canada Highway EP.

Thanks to Hampus Grönvall for the tip. He discovered the password to the mysterious website that went up this morning. Entering the password 699742628315717228936557813386519225 into Coschea-Tramsmisiones resulted in a link to this video and the Bleep preorder page.

Scottish brothers Mike and Marcus Sandison began making music together as young children. They started recording as Boards of Canada in the mid-1990s, releasing early EPs Twoism and Hi Scores. They broke through with the electronic music classic Music Has the Right to Children in 1998. Following the well-received Geogaddi in 2002, they released The Campfire Headphase in 2005 and the Trans Canada Highway EP in 2006 and then went silent. They gave a rare interview in September 2005, right before the release of The Campfire Headphase.

Tomorrow's Harvest:

01 Gemini

02 Reach for the Dead

03 White Cyclosa

04 Jacquard Causeway

05 Telepath

06 Cold Earth

07 Transmisiones Ferox

08 Sick Times

09 Collapse

10 Palace Posy

11 Split Your Infinites

12 Uritual

13 Nothing Is Real

14 Sundown

15 New Seeds

16 Come to Dust

17 Semena Mertvykh

OMFG!

That's pretty huge...I wouldn't turn down the chance to see them, though at the same time, I wouldn't go in with too great expectations either. Jeff Mangum was appalling when I saw him live.

Anyone given a listen to the new Iggy & The Stooges album? I've only heard "Job" and "Burn" - both performed on The Colbert Report - and I dug it. Album seems to be getting slightly mixed reviews though.

Anyone given a listen to the new Iggy & The Stooges album? I've only heard "Job" and "Burn" - both performed on The Colbert Report - and I dug it. Album seems to be getting slightly mixed reviews though.

I think it comes down to how you like your Iggy. This album is definitely middle-finger, crazy Iggy.