The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

I hate you. I want to go to Mountain Oasis so fucking bad. Neutral Milk Hotel reunion is a big deal because, unlike other reunions, everyone presumed they wouldn't get back together and tour. Hell, no one expected Jeff Mangum to come out of hibernation a few years ago, much less a full band reunion and world tour.

Plus, you get to see Nine Inch Nails AND How to Destroy Angels. Damn you!!!

I am definitely looking forward to NIN and HtDA. For my one big fest trip of the year, I picked a pretty good one.

So, yeah. A new track from Boards of Canada dropped. Listening to it, it only makes me more excited for Tomorrow's Harvest. Really sounds like they have decided to steer their sound in a new direction.

• Like 1

Any fans of the producer Danger Mouse may be happy to find out that he produced Portugal. The Man's latest album. It's a pretty damn perfect match and I can't believe it didn't happen sooner. You can stream the new album here, otherwise it's drip drip dripping in the normal places.

David Lynch has announced details of his second album 'The Big Dream'.

The album is the Twin Peaks director's follow-up to his 2011 debut, 'Crazy Clown Time'. It features a cover of Bob Dylan's 'The Ballad Of Hollis Brown' and also includes a collaboration with Lykke Li called 'I'm Waiting Here'. Scroll down and click 'play' to listen to 'I'm Waiting Here' now.

Lynch praised the Swedish singer in a press release announcing the album, saying: "She brought her own style to this song, which has a doo-wop sort of thing going on, but in a way it's far-removed from the '50s."

Elaborating further on the sound of 'The Big Dream', Lynch explained: "Most of the songs start out as a type of blues jam and then we go sideways from there. What comes out is a hybrid, modernised form of low-down blues. The Blues is an honest and emotional form of music that is thrilling to the soul. I keep coming back to it, because it feels so good."

'The Big Dream' will be released across Europe on July 15 on Sunday Best Recordings.

'The Big Dream' tracklisting in full:

'The Big Dream'

'Star Dream Girl'

'Last Call'

'Cold Wind Blowin'

'The Ballad of Hollis Brown'

'Wishin’ Well'

'Say It'

'We Rolled Together'

'Sun Can’t Be Seen No More'

'I Want You'

'The Line It Curves'

'Are You Sure'

'I’m Waiting Here' with Lykke Li – Exclusive Bonus Track

Sweet!

The new Boards of Canada album Tomorrow's Harvest has been on loop since I acquired it yesterday. 8 years of waiting and, unlike Daft Punk, Mount Kimbie, and Gold Panda, they did not disappoint and kind of exceeded expectations. The nostalgia, the emotions, the feelings it gives off are completely different from their past work but done in the same BoC way. There's been such a wave of BoC imitators who haven't been able to match BoC, and then here the brothers come out with their first album in 8 years and it sounds exactly like a BoC album while being also something completely new.

There's a growing belief, based on the album artwork, that the album is themed after Knut Hamsun's Growth of the Soil which I think is something I'm going to definitely have to read.