The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

Nine Inch Nails is the only group that I'll actually hold out for the actual album instead of listening to every song that becomes available. Unless it's part of the experience, like it was during the build-up to the Year Zero album.

Which is odd because they're probably the one group that I'd never be able to do that for. I mean, that's never really been a habit of mine anyways but I can't imagine not wanting to hear anything from a new album of Trent's

I find that some artists, it's better to digest their album(s) full-length instead of a track by track basis. Most of NIN's album flow together, so some things are lost in the translation when you break it up into single songs.

It's not like it's a Foo Fighters album or something :P

Actually, that's a great paradigm for rock music right now. On one side, you have the bands like Foo Fighters, Fall Out Boy, Phoenix, etc. Albums consisting of singles...which is perfectly fine.

Flip side, you have Nine Inch Nails, Flaming Lips, Tesseract, etc. Bands more concerned with creating entire albums, which is another fine philosophy, but you've got to have something to hook the non-believers in (that's my only real gripe about Tesseract's technically-excellent "Altered State").

I've opted to go Tristy's route in regards to "Hesitation Marks". "Came Back Haunted" grew on me and I'm holding out for something like "Year Zero", which was just great almost across the board.