The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

That's typically always been the case though. The best example of the two dualities I can recall from the top of my head is the early seventies. On the one hand you had all the progressive rock bands who were putting together long suites of songs, as well as people like Led Zeppelin who never released a single because they were snobs. But at the exact same time there were the likes of Mark Bolan, Mott The Hoople and David Bowie, who were (at least for that stage of their career) more interested in singles.

• Like 1

That's typically always been the case though. The best example of the two dualities I can recall from the top of my head is the early seventies. On the one hand you had all the progressive rock bands who were putting together long suites of songs, as well as people like Led Zeppelin who never released a single because they were snobs. But at the exact same time there were the likes of Mark Bolan, Mott The Hoople and David Bowie, who were (at least for that stage of their career) more interested in singles.

The practice as a mainstream money-maker really died out in the 80s and 90s, though. It became more about the live shows in the 80s and the singles in the 90s. It wasn't until the last ten years or so that we really saw complete albums making splashes on the Billboard charts.

Actually, yeah, that is a good point. I think the biggest impact of the "punk revolution" was that the single became more important than the LP. At least in the mainstream. I suppose that's down to a lot more DIY and indie bands appearing on the scene who could produce a single or an EP with far more ease. And even after they got a bit more money it kind of stuck. I know that for the vast majority of bands from that era I certainly tend to prefer their best of to any individual album.

And if things moved back to the album - maybe that's down to technology advances and studio costs dropping sharply over the last twenty years or so? I mean, now you get people recording albums on iPads - and to a pretty high standard.

• Like 1

I really like the new Franz Ferdinand album, definitely more than the 3rd album and maybe even their 2nd. The album gets progressively slower yet better.

I think I'm along the same lines here. They've got a knack for sparse grooves that not many bands can match.

They've laid the album out really well as they start with what you'd expect out of Franz Ferdinand. 'Right Action' would be them on autopilot if the lyrics weren't so hilarious, and 'Evil Eye' is straight out of their second album. However by the time you get to 'Fresh Strawberries' and 'Bullet' you realise this is a much different beast to what we've had before.

A bit like QOTSA's effort, they've surprised me because I never like it when a band slows down compared to their older work. Yet they've instead created some of their best work.

Halfway through Vista Chino's Peace. For you stoner/sludge/etc. etc. fans, Vista Chino is basicall Kyuss Lives!, which is John Garcia, Brant Bjork, and Nick Oliveri out of Red Sun-era Kyuss with some other guy on guitars. Peace reminds me a lot more of Unida than anything else, mostly because of the lack of technicality that Kyuss had, but it's still a solid bit of post-Kyuss stoner rock. Worth a listen through at the very least. "Sweet Remain" is the first great track, so if "Dargona Dragona" doesn't wow you (left me a bit cold), at least give that one a try.

Wow, "Acidize... The Gambling Moose" is ripped right out of a Sixty Watt Shaman album or something, damn. Can always get behind Southern blues rises for riffs.

It's nice that guy from Arcade Fire has finally learnt how to drum, but aside from that there's not a whole lot there.

The first two songs on the new Arctic Monkeys one are really good but it's a bit dull from there.

To continue the "it's 2005 all over again" trend, the new Franz Ferdinand album is really good, which is surprising because I find the rest of their stuff a bit boring.