The 2013 Music Thread

Jimmy

Concur that Darkside's album is definitely the album of the year.

I was walking my dog early one morning and had thrown the album on my headphones. When Hearts came on, I got goose bumps and felt chills. I was intending on it being a short walk out with the dog, but instead I stayed out for 40 minutes listening to the album. It's breathtaking.

Maybe it'll get better with repeated listens, but new Chrome Hoof is kind of disappointing. It was one of the most anticipated releases of the year for me, but it just feels a little flat...I think I'd have been impressed if it was by anyone else, but it just doesn't seem as daring as their last two. They're not breaking any new ground, or really doing much of anything that they haven't done before.

Losing Lola as their full-time vocalist has definitely hurt them too, as none of the songs feel like they were really written for the person singing them. Shingai's voice works for them really well, and is probably technically a better singing voice than Lola's, but isn't as raw - I'd be interested to hear what they come up with once they start writing songs with her as a near-enough permanent member of the band, though.

I was disappointed by the track with Jeff Walker, too. Just seemed like a lazy rehash, and not half as good, of the song they did with Lee Dorrian on the previous album.

So much potential from the last few weeks' releases and only a few really hit.

-AFI aims high but they just lack the spark they had with Decemberunderground. There's nothing wrong with it, but these songs don't stick in your head like a lot of their early stuff.

-Motorhead. I don't need to describe it to you, it's Motorhead. Get after it. Some damn fine blues to be had.

-Alter Bridge should be so much better. They should rule this world with the amount of talent that is in that band...but they don't. There is a lot of crunch, but no heft. It just feels saccharin.

-New Pelican is damn fine. Decent intro to the band, good for those who have stuck around.

-Moving Mountains deserves your time. Love the fact that they tend to switch things up with each album.

-Go listen to The Weeknd's "Kiss Land". He's Michael Jackson without the bullshit.

-Avett Brothers basically just released an album of "Carpenter" b-sides. Some nice moments but forgettable.

-Pearl Jam is so far removed from what they once were. There's swing in this album, fercripesakes. Won't win over anyone new, but they know what they're doing.

-Do not bother with: the new Katy Perry, Sheryl Crow, Asking Alexandria, Norma Jean (except for the opening track), Iwrestledabearonce, Goodie Mob, or UB40.

The whole part about Alter Bridge is a joke, right? >_>

I'll be more specific. Kennedy & Tremonti are insanely good at their respective jobs. Rhythm section is average, maybe above average. The band has so much ability, yet they haven't crafted one single memorable song in their entire time together. They should be so much more enjoyable, but they aren't. At best, they're average.