• Paul Phoenix
    • Nina Williams
    • Michelle Chang
    • Marshall Law
    • King
    • Jack
    • Kazuya
    • Yoshimitsu

Okay. Let's say that EWB were going to get together for a three part fighting tournament. However we're not going to go with the latest incarnations of games with hundreds of characters to pick from.

We're just going to play Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat and Tekken.

You can pick one character for each that you use throughout the tournaments.

I'd go for Chun-Li in Street Fighter, Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat (I used him and Johnny Cage about the same and Cage DOES have the cheap-tastic package check but Sub Zero is cooler) and probably Kazuya in Tekken as my preferred characters don't enter until later editions.

I have no feelings either way on Tekken and I can't vote in the poll, without selecting one of their fighters. :/

Blanka-King of cheap moves. Won so many street fighter battles with that glorious creature.

Sub-Zero-Most fun thing to do was freeze someone and then uppercut them.

I had Street Figthter 2 Champion Edition where you could play as Vega, Balrog and Sagat too and Vega was always my favourite, probably Sagat in second - but of those choices, I'd say Dhalsim because of his insane reach.

I actually played Tekken after I played Tekken 2 as well - Tekken 2 and Crash Bandicoot came with my Playstation I think - but I played the original Tekken a decent amount and it'd probably have to be Paul or Law - Law probably edges it because I preffered him in my childhood.

Mortal Kombat I played less (and again was more of a Mortal Kombat II fan) but Liu Kang was always my choice.

Chun Li is the best Street Fighter character. Her ability to wall jump wins me shitloads of matches against Kens and Ryus who are used to backing people into the corner and using crossovers.

Vega was my first choice for SF, as he was badass, but Blanka and Guile split me then. Went for Blanka, as he's just awesomely bizarre. Yoshomitsu in Tekken for exactly the same reason. Plus, sword, y'know. Raiden was a clear winner for me in MK due to being a badass God.

Johnny Cage for this reason:

johnnycage--article_image.jpg

Couldn't find a good screen shot of him doing it in MK1.

That being said, MK3 is my favorite, Trilogy is the best version and Kabal is my homie.

Dhalsim in a walk. Dhalsim was my bestie.

Sub-Zero gets the nod over Scorpion for freezy ridiculousness, obviously.

I haven't played Tekken in a dog's age, so, uh, King I think? Tekken was my least favorite of the fighting games from that generation (yes, I prefer Battle Arena Toshinden and Virtua Fighter 2 to Tekken).

Decided to play through Soul Calibur (4 maybe, released a number of years ago. PS3 got Darth Vader, 360 got Yoda).

I used to love Soul Blade/Edge. I've owned this edition for quite a while but only ever played it twice (once at 4am in the morning with a friend when we were reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally drunk). When I tried to play with friends the other day I realised that half the characters weren't unlocked, which was disappointing.

It's really good actually. Story mode is as cheese-tastic as ever but loving the sheer number of fighters they throw at you (even if they're just alternatively dressed and named versions of other characters) and the character edit options are good too. Reverted to my two favourites - Ninja demon-hunter babe Taki (with tiny daggers) and Mitsurugi (gruff Japanese samurai with katana). Keep getting excited as stories have been throwing up other characters from the past that aren't available to play as from the start (like other fave Seong Mina and the big bloke with the axe Rock).

Most ludicrous weapon I need to learn how to use well is the bladed hula hoop thing.

but Sub Zero is cooler

I read what you did there.

King all the way for Tekken, I used to love finishing people with the figure four.

King is far and away my favorite from Tekken. He hasn't been a top-tier, end-all character like the 267 different Mishimas in ages, but there's such a tactile pleasure in taking someone down with the Roaring Elbow.

SF: E. Honda. Played as him in SF2, but didn't really master him until SSF2: Turbo, which is when I believe they added a legit air game for ol' fatso.

MK: Cage, solely because I managed a Double Flawless against a friend of mine using nothing but Nut Punches.

In later Tekkens I liked Bryan Fury (partially because he reminded me of former Aston Villa manager Brian Little), Hwoarang (because you could change his stance around to open up more moves) and Ling Xiaoyu (like Hwoarang, great kicking character, without the cheapness of Eddie Gordo). I also like Julia Chang - she's not the easiest to play as but feels pretty rewarding.