2013 Major League Soccer Thread (aka The Ancient Mystical Society of No Timbers)

GoGo Yubari

HELL YEAH DCU !!!!!!! ... but yeah, totally shit they'll be going to RSL. I kind of have to root for RSL for the better of the league. DCU in the CCL (while I absolutely want to see it) would just be horrid right now. They're turning it around but too many of their parts aren't stable and there's no telling what this team will look like in 6 months.

MTL and SKC got wins in the CCL last night ! SKC's first match in the competition was a road win so that's good news. MTL beat freaking SJ .... meh.

Transfer window closes today ... curious as to what could go down today given tweets like:

Robb Heineman @RobbHeineman 12h

The next 24 hours should be interesting dealing w Nicaragua and an agent....neither sounds fun

MLS Transfers @MLSTransfers 10h

@revsskeptic I'm sure he's been up the past few nights figuring everything out. Looking at 3 different players now

^ in regards to NE

MLS Transfers @MLSTransfers 12h

@jasondevos: Ryan Nelsen not on the bench tonight for TFC. Off trying to sign a player before the transfer window closes, I’m told.” Boom

Colorado Rapids @ColoradoRapids 12h

#Rapids TD Paul Bravo confirms that Gabriel Torres is expected in Colorado on Thursday - http://bit.ly/1cwna8V pic.twitter.com/daKBgJyGf3

Retweeted by MLS Transfers

MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers 12h

@jasondevos: Ryan Nelsen not on the bench tonight for TFC. Off trying to sign a player before the transfer window closes, I’m told.” Boom

He damn well better. Silva, O'Dea out for Bloom, Rey, Elmer and an Academy call-up is not enough. I know it's my hometown team and all, but bloody hell, it's hard to be a fan of TFC sometimes everyday. It's like they're trying to get us to cheer for Montreal or Vancouver.

Oh, they had the rights to it last year too, which only added to my absolute misery watching that match.

Indeed, but this season ... they're almost not on any TV packages, at all. DirecTV simply replaced them with beIN. I couldn't get it if I wanted it, as DirecTV doesn't even offer it anymore.

Verizion Fios, Cox and Time Warner .... that's it. And even then it isn't available in all of their markets.

Omar Gonzalez is indeed LA Galaxy's third DP, as expected. There's a lot of debate over whether this was the right decision, and I think it is. I'd like to see him play abroad but it's not like he can't do that after the World Cup.

It's the right decision for LA too because their defense isn't great right now and without Omar there it probably becomes above only Chivas as the worst in the west.

• 1 month later...

LOL Henry mocking Michel after getting fouled:

NY is actually on top of the SS race although Seattle has two games in hand. There's actually a good number of clubs still in the hunt for it (SEA/NY/RSL/SKC/POR/LA/MON). Should be a good last month. Looking at the conference standings and I'm surprised in the West to see Dallas in some serious trouble of missing the playoffs. They've got talent all over the place. The kids in Colorado are surprising me as well. If they sneak in ahead of either or both of Dallas/Vancouver ... wow. In the East it's pretty much cut and dry. Chicago and Philly are the two on the outside looking in but other than New England, there's not really a surprise team above the cut right now. Both Philly and Chicago have been streaky so not making the playoffs won't be such a surprise. If Philly can sneak in I think they'll be dangerous but it's pretty "to form" in the East.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd pay to see that. He's not a Beckham-level name (but really, who is right now that would be available?), but he's had a very good career so far.

If he does sign, he'll show great potential for a few games, then go down with a knee injury that never quite heals, finally quietly retiring to coach a boy's team in his native Italy.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're in. Now we can cue the Kaka circus ! It'd be great of course, but I expect them to go after either Zusi or McCarty if not both (or Sean Johnson/Deshorn Brown).

In great news for the league and US Soccer, Diego Fagundez has officially stated he will pursue citizenship !!!!!!!

Reports that Mario Martinez might be heading back to Seattle.