The MLS/USL/NWSL Thread

Lineker

11 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

Damn I was hoping I could find pictures of him covered in dirt or slime or something so I could start a "Lio Messy" thread, but no luck :(

Anyway, love that it's the first game of the season and Minnesota still doesn't have a manager! At least Reynoso was only a week late to pre-show this year...and then immediately injured himself. Gonna be a good year!

Minnesota actually hired Eric Ramsey as their manager this week. He's been a coach at Manchester United and turned down opportunities at Blackpool and Swansea. He's supposed to be a highly rated coach at Manchester United, or at least that's the reporting, but he's incredibly young at I think 32. 

19 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Minnesota actually hired Eric Ramsey as their manager this week. He's been a coach at Manchester United and turned down opportunities at Blackpool and Swansea. He's supposed to be a highly rated coach at Manchester United, or at least that's the reporting, but he's incredibly young at I think 32. 

I saw he was rumored to come in, didn't see the deal was finalized. That's good, though admittedly I know nothing about him and am judging that entirely on him having worked in the Premier League. 

Without Reynoso (and Hlongwane, my favorite who was breaking out last year but will miss the first game or two) I don't have high hopes for today, but I was being a little hyperbolic about it not being a good season. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to a game this year -- I tried to when I was visiting friends in Minnesota last year, but shitty weather put a stop to that.

11 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

nevermind, ending up dominating most of the game without a manager or two of our best players and the players who kinda sucked last year looked great in the new high press, gonna win it all 🏆

Definitely helped playing Austin. They are my pick to finish last in the West. Terrible last season and made no real improvement. I think Minnesota is going to be so fun to watch this year. Reynoso having a whole year with Pukki to create chances for and Bongi is definitely going to breakout this season I think!

Reasons to love MLS. While most people are watching Miami vs Orlando, over in Salt Lake City for RSL v LAFc, the match was delayed in the 3rd minute because of thunder and lightning in the pouring rain. An hour later, they're back playing in heavy snow and orange ball. Pitch is covered in snow. It's phenomenal.

• Like 1

Orlando City's fans were pissy after Minnesota's GK (Dayne St. Clair) made a clean tackle in the penalty box early in the game. Lot's of "Fuck St. Clair," they threw the ball back into the field at one point during play, they sucked basically.

That said, I enjoyed Hlongwane's celebration after scoring in his first game back from injury.

Things didn't get better from there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MLS has a significant issue with VAR in terms of having nowhere near enough cameras to determine offsides. They're using cameras from midfield, don't draw lines, and repeatedly make terrible calls because of it. The Union were eliminated in the playoffs last year because of it, and today had a goal ruled out for offsides that has universally been said to be onside by fans from both teams, and MLS pundits. Our manager Jim Curtin just had an all timer in the post match in response to how VAR uses clear and obvious to determine offsides or not.

• Haha 1