MLS and USL Thread 2021

Lowerdeck

Ideally I'd want them to move playoffs into 4 groups of 4 (randomly drawn with seeding based on regular season records), with everyone playing each other in the group over a 10-12 day window. It would help give the really great regular season teams a mulligan, which they don't have in the current playoff format. Then top 2 from each group play in single-game knockouts. Pesky international window really inhibits this I think though as it adds nearly an extra 2 weeks on to the time needed to complete the playoffs.

At least they're not using the formats that the 2010s revival of the NASL used, which was one step removed from Whose Line Is It Anyway rules.

Ahead of Sunday's Eastern Conference Finals, the biggest game in club's history, the Union have had a fucking COVID outbreak. No idea how many players are in health and safety protocols, but it was so bad the team couldn't train yesterday. The entire team is apparently vaxxed, but there's a very high likelihood we will be entering Sunday's match missing multiple key players.

Absurd this match is going to be played. Our entire starting back five from the Playoffs, captain CM, two STs who always play off the bench, and more, all out because of a COVID outbreak. The team is fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Is the other team fully vaccinated as well? The whole thing is ridiculous. Won't be the last league to have everything blow up because of an ill-timed outbreak among vaccinated people.

I have no idea about NYCFC's vaccination status. I'm just going to assume they're not all fully vaccinated since their fanbase has a bunch of Nazis in it 🤷.

• Like 1