MLS 2018

HailtotheYo

That was really shocking too. DC was on a huge hot streak, lethal at home, and it was a home match. Columbus went on the road and knocked out everyone's sexy pick two years in a row now. Greg Berhalter is a pretty fine coach.

Meanwhile, for me and @Meacon, our Union decided to dress up for Halloween as a playoff team, but not actually play like one. We needed to win one of our final two games to secure a home playoff match, and lost them both, and then spanked at NYCFC. I still don't understand how City America can be allowed to play on that Yankee stadium pitch though. That is an abomination.

• 1 month later...

Watched the highlights of the MLS cup-final this morning and Atlanta United really have something special going on. The crowd there is electric at the best of times but was extra energectic yesterday. 

It's a shame that I have read reports that Alan Pardew could be taking charge of them next season. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Austin FC will become Major League Soccer's 27th franchise, the league confirmed on Tuesday.

The Texas club will join MLS as an expansion franchise after its ownership group Precourt Sports Ventures (PSV) spent the past year exploring moving its previous club -- the Columbus Crew -- to the Texas capital.

"Austin is a thriving metropolitan city -- the embodiment of what we mean when we say MLS is a 'League for a new America,'" said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "We are extremely proud to be the first major professional sports league to become part of the fabric of this important and thriving American city.

"In their support of a world-class soccer stadium that benefits the entire community, the leadership of the city of Austin has shown tremendous faith in our league and the sport of soccer in North America. I want to thank Anthony Precourt for his continued commitment to our league and Mayor [Steve] Adler and the political leadership of the city of Austin for their belief in Major League Soccer."

Prospective new Crew owners the Haslam and Edwards families said last week that plans are moving quickly to close the sale, leaving PSV clear to launch the expansion side in Austin.

Austin FC will begin play in 2021, in a $225 million privately financed stadium on city land, a partnership for which officials in Austin approved last month.

"This is a very proud moment, and we are so happy to share it with the people of Austin, city leadership, the dedicated soccer fans of the region, and everyone who believed in our mission to bring Major League Soccer to this incredible community," said Precourt.

"The greatest way we can show our gratitude is in our actions as leaders of Austin FC. Our intent is to build a team that will be a perennial contender for MLS Cup, to build a stadium at McKalla Place that rivals the best sporting venues in North America, and to cultivate a club culture that brings people together and always give back."

I fear they’re expanding way too fast. Also for anyone who subscribes to the Athletic, there’s a very good article about how obsolete the SuperDraft is becoming now that club’s have their academy’s in place.

For instance, the Union traded all their picks to Cincinnati for around $200,000 allocation money.

I would love to see Austin FC do drizzling numbers in attendance and the club to be one of the worst ever year.

Fuck Garber and Precourt for the shady dealings they did to try and kill the Crew. Borderline criminal stuff there.