The MLS/USL/NWSL Thread

Lineker

On 07/03/2023 at 17:20, GoGo Yubari said:

How have Austin managed to commit two of the most brutal own goals I've seen in a while in just over two weeks?

UPDATE: Violette AC had so many VISA issues that they had to sign players from an NPSL team on loan. Even with that they had only three players on the bench, and had to rely on their backup keeper.

In spite of that, they held Austin FC to only two goals meaning they have advanced on aggregate. CCL rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

UPDATE: Violette AC had so many VISA issues that they had to sign players from an NPSL team on loan. Even with that they had only three players on the bench, and had to rely on their backup keeper.

In spite of that, they held Austin FC to only two goals meaning they have advanced on aggregate. CCL rules.

This is fucking hilarious, why are Haiti and Haitiens always involved in such magnificent football trivia? :lol:

Violette have not been regularly playing for months due to unrest in Haiti. Everyone say it with me now...what a cupset.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Phil Neville has been sacked as manager of the Major League Soccer side Inter Miami. The 46-year-old has paid the price for a poor run of form, with the 1-0 defeat by New York Red Bulls proving the final straw.

Neville, who was appointed in January 2021 after his resignation as England Women manager, leaves the club bottom of MSL’s Eastern Conference after four successive defeats. The assistant Javier Morales has stepped in as interim head coach, with the team next in action at home against DC United on Saturday.

The club’s co-owner David Beckham, who is Neville’s former Manchester United and England teammate, said it was the right time to make the change. “When we appointed Phil we knew he would give Inter Miami his all and I have watched him work incredibly hard and with real commitment towards the ambitions we set out for the club,” he told the club’s website.

“He and his family embraced Miami and he has devoted himself to the drive to bring success to the city and to our fans. Phil has made a real contribution to the culture of our club with his qualities as a leader and knowledge as a coach.

“Sometimes in this game we have to make the toughest decisions and sadly we feel the time is right to make a change. I want to personally thank Phil for his hard work, his passion for our club and for his integrity as a person.”

Neville attracted attention recently after he swore at a reporter during a press conference, having been interrupted during an answer. Reacting to the news, he said: “I would like to thank the Inter Miami CF ownership group for their trust and making me a part of this project; the players and staff for their impressive commitment, dedication and hard work; and the fans for their unwavering support for the club since day one.

“I’m grateful to have played a part in the growth of this club and wish Inter Miami CF all the best in the future.”

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm so happy that The Perfect One's™️ (David Beckam ofc) vision for Inter Miami is finally coming to fruition. This is the greatest thing to ever happen to the MLS and most certainly South Florida football. 

He's no Larry Csonka!

In that, he is not a running gag in a classic  episode of Mystery Science Theatre

• Admin

The San Diego Loyal have announced they will disband following the 2023 season after they were unable to find a permanent solution for a home stadium.

In a video posted on Thursday, team owner Andrew Vassiliadis confirmed that the club, which was co-founded by former USA international Landon Donovan, would cease operations after four seasons in the second-division USL Championship.

“Four years ago, Landon Donovan, myself, and our group of investors started on a journey to bring professional soccer back to San Diego. I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished in the first three seasons,” Vassiliadis said.

“Over the last six months, myself, [president] Ricardo Campos and a small part of my team have been looking at all viable options up and down the coast for us to find solutions for [the] academy, for training facilities, for [a] stadium.

“From Oceanside down to the border, we’ve looked at everything and left no stone unturned. Unfortunately, after looking at all of that, I’ve come to the conclusion that this will be the last season for San Diego Loyal.”

The news comes three months after San Diego was awarded Major League Soccer’s 30th franchise, which is set to begin play at Snapdragon Stadium in 2025.

In a news release issued Thursday by the USL, the league cited the lack of a viable stadium as the driving factor in the Loyal shutting down.

“Having a modern, commercially viable stadium solution is vital to our clubs’ long-term success and is a pillar of the USL’s growth strategy,” USL deputy chief executive Justin Papadakis said. “Despite collectively pursuing multiple potential options with SD Loyal’s leadership in the San Diego area, an appropriate stadium solution has not materialized.”

Since the club’s inception, the Loyal have played their home matches at Torero Stadium on the University of San Diego’s campus. Donovan coached the team for their first three seasons with Nate Miller taking over at the start of the 2023 campaign.

The USL said it will provide more information about the transfer of the franchise rights in coming months.

• 1 month later...

so anyway, Messi got hurt and Miami regressed and they ended up losing the US Open Cup finals and missing the playoffs. If you listen very closely you can hear Don Garber screaming in anguish somewhere.

• Haha 2