The MLS/USL/NWSL Thread

Lineker

3 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I saw he might go to Birmingham?

If we lose Eustace for Rooney my optimism for this season takes a big knock. Unlike the last time we appointed a "name" we've got money to spend in January but do I trust Rooney to spend it? Fuck no.

General vibe from DCU supporters seems to be "Rooney could have done better but absolutely nobody is going to succeed with our front office" so unless they can find the next Oscar Pareja I'd kind of expect more of the same.

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

General vibe from DCU supporters seems to be "Rooney could have done better but absolutely nobody is going to succeed with our front office" so unless they can find the next Oscar Pareja I'd kind of expect more of the same.

They're basically in an endless loop of just being what they are. The fumes of an amazing run that ended about 20 years ago still linger. Like any team without the threat of relegation you can point to your history when the times get lean, and then stay lean.

• Like 1

Jack has no idea what he is walking into. Colorado's not run anything like Arsenal. He will get almost zero money, and zero support from Kroenke and the front office. The Rapids are by far one of the worst run franchises in MLS right now, and the worst overall in MLS history I'd say. 

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Stan Kroenke repeatedly falls ass backwards into championships though.

I think the Rapids have shown even that has limits :P

My vote for worst franchise in MLS history is Chivas USA, though, when they're not being considered a part of LAFC's history for bantz purposes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I think the Rapids have shown even that has limits :P

My vote for worst franchise in MLS history is Chivas USA, though, when they're not being considered a part of LAFC's history for bantz purposes.

In fairness, I was only considering active MLS clubs when I said that! Chivas absolutely win in a landslide if defunct clubs are considered!

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the only saving graces Colorado have is that a) they've actually won an MLS Cup, which some long-standing MLS clubs still can't say and b) because they pretty much want (and have) to be MLS' moneyball team there are usually much more high-profile disaster teams than them at any given time.

But it can probably wear on you much more to be a team that keeps failing without ambition vs. an ambitious trainwreck team that occasionally gets it right. Like, in between periods where Toronto's a dumpster fire they did have the Vanney/Giovinco years.

• 3 weeks later...

As expected, Suarez is joining Miami, who are playing a friendly against NaziFC in Miami next Friday... during MLS Playoffs... because cash grab gotta cash grab.

Also, these Playoffs are fucking stupid. Last year was great. This year is so dumb with this format.

Yeah, I hate it, even though my team has the advantage under the format. Hope we just flatten Dallas tomorrow and don't need the second home game to finish the job.

and since all posts in this thread are contractually obligated to be related to Inter Miami in some way...

No FO and head coach deserve each other more than the Portland Timbers and Phil Neville.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I assumed this format was to squeeze some extra games out for their streaming deal with Apple, so here's hoping every matchup ends in game 2.

That played a role, but the driving force was also the owners wanted to all get a home playoff game to get more money. It's been shit though. Places that were selling out pretty much every game, except bad weather nights, like Philadelphia, LAFC, and Cincinnati all had visible empty seats for Game 1. Plenty of matches had very dull second halves because teams took the foot off to save energy for Game 2, and well, it's just dumb.

On 03/11/2023 at 12:30, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, I hate it, even though my team has the advantage under the format. Hope we just flatten Dallas tomorrow and don't need the second home game to finish the job.

I occasionally cast my eye over ths MLS still and that play off system is a very American approach to football.

Nothing wrong with two legs, aggregate scores, and away goals.

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I occasionally cast my eye over ths MLS still and that play off system is a very American approach to football.

Nothing wrong with two legs, aggregate scores, and away goals.

It used to be two legs, and they were honestly dreadful boring defensive matches. MLS was doing amazing with one leg knockouts! Matches were intense and good watches. Then they did this format this year and only execs like it. Fans collectively hate it.

• Like 1