2013 Summer Transfer Thread

Sol Campbell

Tevez

RVP

Gallas

Ashley Cole

Anelka

etc etc

Please explain how they are like the 2nd place club cashing in on their players and selling them to the 1st place club.

Oh, and bringing up Sol Campbell is an absolute joke. Spurs were a mid-table club when he went to Arsenal.

Some of that was simply because of the rival aspect (because you know, Dortmund/Bayern are such).

Tevez - EOC ? Then why was there a fee paid ? He also said he didn't want to sign with Liverpool, citing the rival club bit .... and then was sold to/signed with direct rival City.

RVP - It's the same issue. A CL side, and it's not like Dortmund were challenging Bayern (20pts back), and have sold one (possibly) two of their best players to a direct rival.

Gallas - was actually involved in the Cole deal between Chelsea/Arsenal first. He "got the price down" for Cole to like 5m pounds from something like 15-20.

I don't see how players moving between rival clubs makes a league weaker. It's just because we're a lot more tribal.

For instance, look at the clubs Cassano and Pirlo have played for. It's not a big deal.

The point is that when the second-best club weakens itself and directly strengthens the best club by selling them their best players, it creates inertia within the league which increases the gulf between one club and all the rest.

This doesn't apply, for instance, with either your cited Italian examples:

In 2012 Antonio Cassano moved from Milan (2nd place) to Inter (6th place).

In 2001 Andrea Pirlo moved from Inter (5th place) to Milan (6th place). Although he had been on loan elsewhere for two seasons anyway.

In 2011 Andrea Pirlo moved from Milan (Serie A winners) to Juventus (7th place).

• Like 1

They don't own Sahin though. Isn't he on loan from Real?

I can't tell if you're joking or not...

It was just an example.

Some of that was simply because of the rival aspect (because you know, Dortmund/Bayern are such).

Tevez - EOC ? Then why was there a fee paid ? He also said he didn't want to sign with Liverpool, citing the rival club bit .... and then was sold to/signed with direct rival City.

RVP - It's the same issue. A CL side, and it's not like Dortmund were challenging Bayern (20pts back), and have sold one (possibly) two of their best players to a direct rival.

Gallas - was actually involved in the Cole deal between Chelsea/Arsenal first. He "got the price down" for Cole to like 5m pounds from something like 15-20.

Tevez? Maybe, but that was just a weird deal.

RVP? No way. Arsenal are gash, they're not one of United's rivals for the Premiership.

Gallas? It's Gallas. Seriously, come on. He was not vital to Chelsea's side in the same way Gotze or Lewandoski are to Dortmund's.

You're really clutching at straws here. Or just arguing for the sake of it, perhaps.

Really?

In the last 10 years, Bayern Munich have won the Bundersliga 6 times. The other titles were won by Stuttgart, Wolfsburg and Dortmund.

In the last 10 years, Manchester United have won the PL title 6 times. Other titles were won by Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City.

Seems pretty even to me.

EDIT: I worked this out from 2002. My bad, but still, speaks for itself.