2013 Summer Transfer Thread

Can Ginola come back?

For you, no.

For us, I'd happily sacrifice you to whatever false god you worship to have him back on the left wing.

Random rumour of presumably little substance: Mario Gomez to make a 30m euro (£25.6m) move to Chelsea in the summer.

They say Gomez only does one thing, and that's score goals. Somehow I imagine being a Chelsea player could lose him even that positive trait. <_<

In a shock deal, Pardiola and Guardiola are going to swap Jonas for the entire Bayern squad.

Has there been anything new on the Eriksen to Liverpool story that made the rounds a week ago? Definitely think he'd be a good signing, but Rodgers needs to stop worrying about attack-minded players and look for another holding midfielder and/or a deep-lying one. Despite his age, I would love the Xabi reunion.

Has there been anything new on the Eriksen to Liverpool story that made the rounds a week ago? Definitely think he'd be a good signing, but Rodgers needs to stop worrying about attack-minded players and look for another holding midfielder and/or a deep-lying one. Despite his age, I would love the Xabi reunion.

I disagree. Now that Gerrard plays deeper, who do we have to play as the No. 10? Henderson and Shelvey. Not exactly bursting with options in that area. Coutinho can play there, but he's pretty much set on starting from the left every game. Last I heard was that Eriksen may be headed to City. I'm kinda torn on him coming to Anfield - most Ajax fans claim to be disappointed with his development, but everyone else rates him quite highly. I think I'd rather we took a punt on Henrikh Mkhitaryan. We have had some success in plucking players from obscurity before.

Definitely agree that we need deeper midfield options too. Really want to see us go in for Diame but I doubt that will happen. We're lacking a real shithouse in the middle of the park (and at the back, for that matter). Heard a lot of people dismissing Xabi coming back because they don't see where he'd fit in, but I think they're forgetting that we've been really lucky with injuries this season. When was the last time Gerrard stayed fit for an entire season? I don't really rate Shelvey, so that leaves us with Gerrard, Lucas, Allen and Henderson to fill three positions on a regular basis. Diame (or someone similar), Alonso and whatever attacking player we go in for would pretty much cover all bases and give us really strong options and the possibility to actually rotate!

Other than that, we obviously need a new centre-back, plus another to replace Skrtel/Coates/both if they head out the door too.

I'd argue, if we have enough money left, we could use a new second choice keeper. Jones makes me incredibly nervous and I think we've dropped a lot of points because he's started so often this season. Guillermo Ochoa would be a good option, and Rodgers seems to rate him.

If there's any cash left, we could probably use another striker and/or a winger, but they're not as vital as the other positions. It's gonna be tough to raise enough funds if the paper talk is true and we only have £20m in the kitty, but I'd grab Alonso and a new CB as early as possible, and determine the rest of our summer signings by who leaves.

Rant over >_>

I think Eriksen is Dortmund bound now that Goetze is gone. I really want him at Liverpool but it isn't likely to happen.

And I agree with you Nerf, a DM and a CB are a necessity, possibly 2 CBs. Maybe a left-back too, 'cause we can't really rotate the team

Edited by Khain

I have just read that Jonas has 18 club career goals. That's... really terrible for a winger.

He's not really a winger though, I've never seen him beat a defender down the flanks. He's more of what FM would call a defensive winger, a wide player more concerned with covering the full back.

That's in theory, his actual role seems to be to run around aimlessly a lot and dribble into cul-de-sacs.

I'd love it if we got Eriksen, brilliant player. I doubt he'd come to us because surely other clubs would be in for him if they heard he was available. Then again I thought the same about Suarez. But Eriksen seems like a stand up guy and hasn't bitten anyone, so.

Will be interesting to see how Dortmund replace Gotze. You can't just go out and buy a player as good as Gotze. Whoever they buy will be a step down. Lewandowski also looks set to be going and by most accounts Bayern are leading that race, so either way they're gonna have to replace two key players and possibly compete with their biggest rivals now utilizing them. At least they have a famously loyal manager who I can't see being swayed by Chelsea for fifteen minutes of fame. Most squads actually seem to need a revamp every few years or so to stay successful, so maybe this is good for Dortmund in a way.

I'd love Lewandowski at Spurs, but we're almost definitely not big enough considered he's been linked to the likes of United and such, and he's currently in a team that's in the semi final of a Champions League and it's anything but a fluke. I hope he doesn't go to Bayern though.

I think Eriksen is Dortmund bound now that Goetze is gone. I really want him at Liverpool but it isn't likely to happen.

And I agree with you Nerf, a DM and a CB are a necessity, possibly 2 CBs. Maybe a left-back too, 'cause we can't really rotate the team

I see loads of people arguing that we need a new LB, but I don't agree at all. Once Kelly is fit, he and Wisdom are both viable alternatives to Johnson, who can play just as well (if not better) from the left. That's four players for two positions, not including Robinson and Flanagan who aren't quite ready yet. If we splurge for Cissokho or whoever, it's going to limit the development of Wisdom, who is actually really solid already. Not really the problem position people make it out to be.

Neither Kelly or Wisdom are natural fullbacks Both are converted centre backs.

If anything Liverpool don't want to be relying on youths too much.

Liverpool need: a centre back to replace Carragher. Possibly one to replace Skrtel. Cover for Lucas who isn't Joe Allen and maybe a left back.

I'd like a better back up keeper too because Brad Jones is poor.

I would imagine the summer will see: Andy Carroll gone, probably Skrtel. I'd have thought Downing but I don't know anymore. Assaidi will probably go too.

Neither Kelly or Wisdom are natural fullbacks Both are converted centre backs.

If anything Liverpool don't want to be relying on youths too much.

Liverpool need: a centre back to replace Carragher. Possibly one to replace Skrtel. Cover for Lucas who isn't Joe Allen and maybe a left back.

I'd like a better back up keeper too because Brad Jones is poor.

I would imagine the summer will see: Andy Carroll gone, probably Skrtel. I'd have thought Downing but I don't know anymore. Assaidi will probably go too.

And?

They're being bled into the team as full-backs, the same way Carragher was. Until they transition through the middle, then they're full-backs. Though I would say that since we're in dire need of a CB that is dominant in the air and a powerhouse, I have no idea why we haven't tried Wisdom in that role yet.

It's the same with Suso and Coutinho. They're both natural No. 10s, but they're doing the job as wingers right now.

There's no way Downing is leaving this summer. I think Rodgers has said as much, and rightfully so. He's dramatically improved over the last four months, and I can see him filling the Dirk Kuyt defensive winger role going forward. It seems to be what he's best at. Though we probably need competition to keep him on his toes.