NBA Player Jason Collins Comes Out

The issue with Griner is that it's expected that most of the players in the WNBA are gay for one reason or another. If you'd told me she was straight, that would have shocked me. I was almost waiting to see someone joke that now we're just waiting for the first "good" gay player to come out of one of the Big 4 leagues. Jason Collins was a little bit underwhelming of a choice, but props to him for having the guts to do so.

It's this. To be blunt, nobody gives a shit about the WNBA. Nancy Lieberman-Cline was fired as Coach/GM of the Detroit Shock because she was rumored to be dating one of her players, while she was married. I'm not sure if there have been any active gay players in the WNBA, but a ton of them have come out at one point or another.

As for Jason Collins, it will be interesting to see what happens after this. His career was most likely over before this. He hasn't played in more than 43 games since 2006-07 and has never averaged more than 6.4 points. He was the starting center on back-to-back teams that lost in the Finals, but he had a pretty lousy career and it's amazing he stuck around 12 seasons. He's a career 3.4 PPG scorer in over 700 games and he was 7 feet tall and never averaged more than 6 rebounds per game. Honestly, this kind of publicity may be his best shot of getting a job for next year.

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah

To be honest, I kind of wondered if he came out for the publicity more than anything. Because he's a mediocre free agent, and if no one picks him up he can always use the `its because I'm gay' excuse. His twin brother has already been out of the NBA for a few years.

And Numbahs, people probably care more about the 12th guy on the Washington Wizards' depth chart than they do about the WNBA. I can't even name more than 3 or 4 WNBA teams, and that's only because former Lady Vols went to them. I can't even recall the last WNBA game I actually watched.....

This is important because it's the first time a male has done it.

Pffffffffft Gareth Thomas :shifty:

And John Amaechi.

Amaechi did it after his retirement. Gareth Thomas is not American.

This is important because it's caused NPR to mention the name "Jason Collins" as much today as "Tamerlan Tsarniev". I don't know about the rest of the American news media because I don't get my news from them.

Pfft, all of California and everyone who lives their stinks.

And you call yourself a person pursuing an English degree.

I expect this kind of nonsense from the rabble, LD, but I hold you to a higher standard!

I'm pregaming for cinco de mayo, homie!

Also, I kinda graduated or whatever!

Also, on topic, I visit Washington DC about once a month but I forgot the Washington Wizards existed until this story broke.

Even Washington DC forgot the Wizards existed until this story broke

• Like 2