"Xbox One" Reveal Event

Dan

And after Sony's reveal of the PS4, their stock dropped. I'm sure this pattern is apparent with the Xbox 360/PS3 reveals and many other technology things.

• Like 1

I like the look of the console. It's simple enough for my tastes. I can't imagine it being as big or bulky as it comes across in a video showing it off, but we'll see. I like the way the controller looks as well, especially the D-pad. It looks like a proper D-pad instead of the analog d-pad that the current one has, which I can't stand during fighters as I end up jumping when I'm trying to input a combo.

Is the second thing (I assume a/the new kinect or something?) going to be included with the console, or has that not been revealed yet?

As for the name.... I'm fine with it I think. It makes me wonder if any future consoles will follow with the number or just a new name, but that's years away. The name makes sense for what they're going for. I'll still just call it the Xbox or the new Xbox. Can't imagine myself calling it 'the One' like I do with the 360 <_<.

I don't find myself all that excited, though. I saw specs and that's good, but I want to see actual gameplay to see how that looks, what it'll handle and such. The fee thing be untrue is a big relief, as that would have made me not even bother with next gen, unless there were some top quality games that I absolutely have to have. The lack of backwards compatibility sucks if that is still true, though.

Hang on, let me get this straight.

The one game per Xbox live account. Does that mean if I share a console and have two different accounts, someone would have to pay an extra fee to play on their account? Much like the online passes? As that would be pretty wank.

Frankly, I wouldn't take anything as certain right now. Where speculation was going crazy before hand, having not spent the time to confirm/deny every single rumour, it's only sent the speculation even crazier.

Man, seeing Dan's tweets to Xbox Support used in articles surrounding this stuff is kinda surreal.

I keep getting Facebook messages off friends with links to places they seen my Tweets >_>

Major Nelson attempts to clarify the used game situation with this piece of almost non information:

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

The fact that he needs to qualify the statement by adding that last bit makes me think we haven't quite debunked the whole thing yet.

Just seen that you will have to go online once every 24 hours too.

And rumour has it PS4 is gonna go down the same route. That's why EA ditched Nintendo and online passes last week.

Fuck it, my PC is better than either of these consoles. I'll stick to that.

And this is how console gaming dies.

This anti-consumer bullshit is eventually going to hit a tipping point, and I suspect the fact that I can't lend a game to a friend will be it. I lend games to my brother-in-law all the time, but now I can't do that unless he's logged in as me? Fuck you.

• Like 8