THE ASHES

METALMAN

He'd just taken his first wicket. I was excited for the lad, and I hardly think that i'd be talking trash when england were up by 70-odd with wickets in hand at the time :P

Dude, we're losing this series 4-0. Don't be talkin' trash :shifty:

There's also this you know :P

Things seem to be getting back on track, Bairstow needs to score some runs as we already have one out-of-form young player in the side who keeps his place based on "potential", we don't need two.

Bell is looking a class above everyone at the moment.

Yeah, it's Root, and it's because I just haven't bought into the hype yet. It's also partially because I'm a big fan of James Taylor and Nick Compton who got given half a chance and then got dropped for no good reason, meanwhile Bairstow and Root's spots in the team seem to be impregnable no matter if they fail. The hype itself seems to be shoved down our throats by the pundits who think that a strong Yorkshire contingent in the England side automatically means success.

Root isn't out of form at all. This is his 7th/8th test and he's averaging just short of 36. Between that and "Brad Guzan is better than De Gea" I'm starting to wonder whether this forum has had an injection of stupid recently.

• Like 2

Sorry to continue to be stupid but Root IS out of form, he's only passed 50 once since May, had a very disappointing Champions Trophy where he got going often and rarely cashed in, has been given very little time to prepare against a proper bowling attack, and has struggled to get to grips with opening the batting in a test match.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, all I was saying is that England are integrating young players into the side and it will pay off in the end, the important thing is to still make sure we can win matches now. Bairstow has played very well today, all be it with a bit of luck with that no ball, and it will probably keep him in the team for the rest of the summer.

And David de Gea is better than Brad Guzan.

EDIT: More importantly Ian Bell has just got out to Steve Smith. I feel sick.

This is the second test we've had since May. ODIs are a different kettle of fish all together.

He's not really been any worse than Cook at opening the batting in the Ashes so far, I agree he hasn't set the world alight but nor have most of the side. It probably was a bit premature to throw him in at #2 but the alternative was dropping Bell and in hindsight that would have been much worse.