THE ASHES

METALMAN

I don't get why Broad should have walked?

Because it's just not cricket :P

I know it's the honourable thing to do but I've played cricket for the past fifteen years and it's something that has crept into the game. When I play (which is not often anymore) we're told not to walk.

Plus with the pressure of the Ashes would you walk?

With something as blatant as that, yes. An LBW or a run out probably not. It's borderline cheating and not something that should be a part of what is supposed to be a gentlemanly, honourable game.

Admittedly, I don't think Broad is the only person who wouldn't have walked, that doesn't make it right.

It might not have been that blatant; you don't always know you've nicked the ball. I've had moments when I've put a pretty heavy touch on the ball but at the time have had no idea I've touched it.

Broad does have a pretty good poker face but he had no reaction at all. There could be a case that he didn't know he'd touched it, especially with his bat open faced and it just nicking the outside of the bat.

We have a guy in our team who always walks. He's known for it. However he walked the other week after there was an edge-like noise. He got back to us at the boundary and said "I dunno why I walked, I didn't edge it, the sticker on my bat (that was hanging off a little) just slapped against the side of my back.

That was just insane, admittedly at first glance I got it wrong too, but that was because I thought he hit it straight to slip without Haddin's glove being involved.

I agree with you about Broad, but given the Agar/Trott decisions I can see why he didn't.

Well Trott was out.

I don't think he should have walked. Walking is a choice, if you don't walk, that's fine. My biggest problem is that the Aussies wasted their referral on an absurd LBW earlier in the day, then Siddle defended it after the game saying "you don't keep a referral just in case. You use it when you think you can get a decision your way. That's what it's there for"

NO IT ISN'T YOU MORON! THIS! THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT IT'S FOR! It's for the shockers! That's why you only get TWO! If you could use it whenever you wanted, they wouldn't bother to give you two, there'd be no limit!

I agree. Too often the reviews are used just in hope or desperation or even for gamesmanship. I still think reviews are a good idea but you don't HAVE to use both of them every day. In fact it IS wise to save one for the shockers, which is why they were brought in in the first place.