The PS4 thread

9 to 5

I do think that Watch Dogs has a chance of being part of the IGC, but there's always the possibility that they give away the PS3 version. As for other possibilities, there are a few that come to mind, but this is all pure conjecture. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has been on sale several times now, and the price seems to have been getting gradually lower each time, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it pop up at some point before The Phantom Pain's September release. Then there's Rayman Legends, another game that's been getting increasingly cheaper in each sale its been part of. I'd personally like to see Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I don't think any other Bethesda-published games have been given away on Plus before. A middle-of-the-road AAA game like The Evil Within or Murdered: Soul Suspect might fit in with the sort of titles we've seen before, although that will obviously depend on the moods of their publishers.

Perhaps we might see a sports game or two as well. NBA 2k13 and 2k14 have both been included in the IGC before, so it's a possibility that 2k15 might be given away at some point later in the year, and we got last year's version of PES too, so, again, maybe that could be on the cards too.

EDIT: I hadn't read the post above, but I'll feel smug about my Rayman prediction.

There's a leaked list that has Rayman Legends and Knack on it for this upcoming month so I dunno if that'd class as big for you. Still, two retail releases. That and Shovel Knight which I would enjoy getting 'free' but I dunno, still seems too early to go that route unless they're throwing some cash their way to make up for it.

I already got Rayman Legends for PS3 but i would absolutely consider that a full price game, and a VERY good one at that. I guess Knack is full price aswell, i just don´t know anything about it apart from a few reports that it froze PS4s.

Sportsgames are Interesting. I think With NBA2k and PES already having been there (at least for PS3) maybe it´s time for something else. Maybe EA gets in with UFC or something like that. Maybe even Madden now that the Season is over for a while. But maybe that deal EA has with xbox (there is some kind of subscription service that gets you all the sports games, right?) excludes these games showing up on plus.

I think you're right about the EA games not coming to Plus because of EA Access, but I think it's exacerbated by the fact that Access didn't come to Playstation because the two parties couldn't agree terms. Microsoft already has its own online subscription service on top of EA Access, so if certain games are being given away on an additional service, such as Access, I would be very surprised if EA was willing to provide them to Plus owners without charging them for their own service as well.

I would therefore say that the best chance of sports games coming to Plus are through other publishers. As I mentioned, we've had the last two NBA 2k games, so maybe we could get WWE 2k15 when this year's game is closer to being released. There are also Codemasters' F1 games, and it would be great to see MLB: The Show on there too at some stage, but I wonder if that will be considered too US-centric for a worldwide audience. I think it would be a great way to introduce new fans to the series, but that's not always how publishers think.

Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that Silent Hills isn't going to happen. I'm officially super bummed out.

God damn it. PT also gets pulled later this month.

Del Toro confirmed that he and Kojima are no longer working together on it. Everyone else has been repeating what Del Toro said. There's been no official cancellation or anything yet, so it's still possible that it happens, just not with the people who were involved at the beginning.

Apparently, confirmation of the cancelling of Silent Hills came out today. Makes me a very sad panda.

Either way, I still want them to reboot (or retool) the franchise. There's so much they can do with it with the new consoles, and PT was a terrifyingly awesome way to showcase that.

Konami said in a statement yesterday that they're still planning to continue the Silent Hill series, but it's really anyone's guess as to how that will turn out. I've only played Silent Hill 2 myself, but most of the series' fans seem to believe that the franchise has really lost its way since at least the third game, and subsequent entries have become more about jump scares than the surreal psychological horror that made the first few versions so well-regarded. If they get a competent studio with an innovative creative mind at the helm, things could yet be salvaged, but the lukewarm critical and fan reception of the more recent games in the series underlines the fact that they can't just put anyone on the job and expect results.

The recent talk of Driveclub lead me to borrow it from work, I didn't bother with it because of the launch issues, but I'm having fun with it. Did it ever get enough traction to warrant a EWB club? If not I'll set one up, there's probably a couple of trophies to be had for racing as part of a club.