EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: THE RESULTS

GoGo Yubari

I haven't seen Frozen yet - pretty much due to the snowman they featured in the trailers. I know it'd be worth it to just watch the damn thing, but man... I really fucking hate that god damn snowman.

Pacific Rim was alright when I watched it.. but I'm really not digging the thought of a sequel or watching it again.

Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D was nuts but I haven't seen it since so I don't know if it would hold up in other formats. Can't vote on what-if's though so I had it pretty high.

I still haven't seen 12 Years a Slave or Frozen but they're on my list so I'll get around to it at some point.

Again this took forever. On the plus side these movies are all fucking awesome.

Gravity_zps808f7b8d.png

3. Gravity (66 points, appeared on six ballots)

Her_zpsd02f07b1.png

2. Her (74 points, appeared on nine ballots)

WolfofWallStreet_zps7ea585b6.png

1. The Wolf of Wall Street (94 points, appeared on fifteen ballots)

Sorry this took so long, again. Worthy winner even though I was all about Her and would have been over the moon if it had won. Second place is still way higher than I expected though. Thanks to everyone who voted and discussed the list in this thread.

I think everything in the Top 10 deserved to be there, except American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street. Both are good, and WoWS is really, really, good, but 2013 put out a lot more spectacular movies than that.

Like Before Midnight.

The Before movies are all Richard Linklater films, right? I keep meaning to watch those because Linklater's easily one of my favorite filmmakers (based entirely off of Dazed & Confused, Slackers and A Scanner Darkly).

• Like 1

I think everything in the Top 10 deserved to be there, except American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street. Both are good, and WoWS is really, really, good, but 2013 put out a lot more spectacular movies than that.

Like Before Midnight.

I'm fine with WoWS finishing so highly, but yes, Before Midnight was better.

The Before movies are all Richard Linklater films, right? I keep meaning to watch those because Linklater's easily one of my favorite filmmakers (based entirely off of Dazed & Confused, Slackers and A Scanner Darkly).

Yeah, they are. In addition to directing, he co-wrote the first one (Sunrise) with Kim Krizan, whilst Delpy and Hawke co-write the second and third films with him.

Yes, yes, yes, those are fun films (A Scanner Darkly in particular for me), but they pale in comparison to the Before trilogy. Seriously, Before Sunrise is one of my favourite movies ever, and the trilogy is up there with the Toy Story one as my favourite movie franchises ever.

• Like 1

I completely forgot about Gravity. Man, I did not care for that film. There is always at least one hugely acclaimed movie I don't get.

Wolf of Wall Street is an obvious number one really. As well as being great it is one that does enough to charm a majority audience. Something like 12 Years a Slave might be too brutal, Her might be too clever, and so on, WoWS is pretty simple, not very offensive and witty. It would just appeal to more people I guess I am saying.

And yes, Her, I did appreciate it but I can't really say I enjoyed it enough to put it in my top ten. I hope that that film would be dreadful had it not become for Phoenix being so damn good. Phoenix is one of the most interesting and compelling actors in the game, put most leading men in his role for Her and you get an incredibly flat and dull movie.

I completely forgot about Gravity. Man, I did not care for that film. There is always at least one hugely acclaimed movie I don't get.

Wolf of Wall Street is an obvious number one really. As well as being great it is one that does enough to charm a majority audience. Something like 12 Years a Slave might be too brutal, Her might be too clever, and so on, WoWS is pretty simple, not very offensive and witty. It would just appeal to more people I guess I am saying.

And yes, Her, I did appreciate it but I can't really say I enjoyed it enough to put it in my top ten. I hope that that film would be dreadful had it not become for Phoenix being so damn good. Phoenix is one of the most interesting and compelling actors in the game, put most leading men in his role for Her and you get an incredibly flat and dull movie.

Did you just say Wolf of Wall Street was not very offensive? :P