EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: THE RESULTS

GoGo Yubari

Iron Man 3 was super fun, really liked it. Best Iron Man film of them all.

Rush was awesome, it's not often I care about all this racing nonsense, but this was absolute brilliance.

Thor 2 was really underwhelming, if only because the first one was my favorite MCU film at the time. It was okay, though.

Hunger Games 2 was okay, better than the first one, but it's still not wowing me or anything.

This Is The End was awesome, one of my faves of the year.

Oh shit, I saw one of these! The one with James Franco. I disliked it. The first fifteen minutes were great and had me hyped and then the rest of the movie just dragged on, especially when they did nothing but reference other movies they were in together which I never saw.

I liked Iron Man 3 really quite a lot. It was flawed, but solid performances from Downey Jr. and a star turn from Ben Kingsley carried it through. Probably more laugh-out-loud moments than most Marvel movies, too, particularly with the relationship between Tony Stark and the kid.

Thor 2 was fun. It was a Loki vehicle with a forgettable villain, but it had enough awesome moments to make it work. One of my favourite Marvel films yet - again, despite its flaws. But the flaws of the movies, for the most part, are flows inherent in the genre anyway.

I've been meaning to see Rush, I imagine I'd enjoy it a lot.

I haven't seen the second Hunger Games movie, because the first one was one of the dullest, shittiest major release films I have ever fucking seen.

Iron Man 3 was alright. I still prefer the second one, honestly; 3 seemed a bit too self-indulgent and didn't really flow well for me. Thor 2 was fun, though. But as Skummy said, forgettable villain. Plus the dialogue is awful at some points. Not seen Rush, not really much incentive to do so. Not seen Hunger Games 2 since the first one was terrible and boring. Then again, I haven't read the books either so yeah.

I think technically Iron Man 3 was the worst of what has actually been a good franchise. However, nearing the end of the film it became all too apparent that they were preparing us to lose Robert Downey Jr in the near future, and that hit hard. That is probably why I left the cinema feeling it was more substantial than it probably was in reality.

Plus, Ben Kingsley.

I think my expectations created disappointment for me with Iron Man 3. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my all-time favorites and the idea of RDJ/Shane Black working together again just created too much hype for it live up to my expectations.

It doesn't help that they somehow underutilized Guy Pearce, despite being the villain. It seems like they concentrated so much on the twist that they forgot to give the actual villain any type of development beyond broad strokes of cliche.

Rush is on my list of 2013 movies I somehow have not watched yet, despite being very interested. I'll see it soon, I imagine.

As discussed in other threads, I really like Thor: The Dark World. I haven't re-watched it since theaters so maybe my opinion would change a bit but it's remarkable just how fun the movie is.

I was pretty disappointed with Catching Fire, actually. It could be a side effect of having read the book but I thought the pacing was pretty bad (nothing really happens in the first half of the movie and the stuff happening in the second isn't given enough time to land like it should).

This is the End is one of the best movies of the year. Love it.

I'm glad that the superhero movie talk served as a distraction for the last couple days while I was at a convention and recovering from a convention and so on. THANKS GUYS.

KingsofSummer_zpsdfb9d47c.png

10. The Kings of Summer (40 points, appeared on seven ballots)

DallasBuyersClub_zps103e19ea.png

9. Dallas Buyers Club (41 points, appeared on seven ballots)

TheWorldsEnd_zps304a4d6c.png

8. The World's End (49 points, appeared on seven ballots)

AmericanHustle_zps969851dc.png

7. American Hustle (52 points, appeared on nine ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: We can either sit here and do nothing or grab those flare guns and do something really stupid.

No idea about KIngs of Summer. And I have missed Dallas Buyers Club and The World's End (which annoys me because Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are amazing). American Hustle was fun the first time I saw it but I need to see it again to make a proper opinion on it.

That's a wonderful bunch.

Kings of Summer was incredible. Out of all the coming-of-age films that came out last year (The Way, Way Back, Mud, The Spectacular Now), it was definitely the best of the bunch.

Dallas Buyers Club had the two of the best performances of the year, no doubt.

The World's End was a ton of fun, though I probably still rate This Is The End above it. I totally wanna' do a pub crawl like that, though, just with less aliens and more booze.

American Hustle was great, some really solid performances, though the best was undeniably Amy Adams, for me.

Out of all of those, American Hustle would probably rank the lowest for me, so if you flip those four movies, that would be top.