EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: THE RESULTS

GoGo Yubari

Only one I've missed is Kings of Summer, which I'll get around to eventually. Dallas Buyers Club was kind of patchy in structure, but had two fantastic performances which stay with you. The World's End was fun, but a clear step down from the rest of the trilogy and American Hustle was another filled with fantastic performances that but the story and direction didn't match.

American Hustle doesn't deserve to be in a top 130 >_>

DBC was excellent. Not seen either of the other two.

All the nominations outside of Amy Adams were undeserved. Adams did a fucking awesome job, however, solid without being eccentric like the other three.

I thought Bale was pretty top notch, too. Lawrence deserved a nomination, but definitely not the kind of buzz she had to win. And I'd argue that Bale's character in particular was eccentric and kind of needed to be. He just got brought down to Earth by how ridiculous both Cooper & Lawrence were.

The Kings Of Summer was absolutely amazing, but then again I knew it was going to be the moment I saw the trailer. It's pretty much everything you'd want in a movie like that.

The World's End was also pretty great. I mean, I've never seen Shaun of the Dead (and after being inundate with zombie this and zombie that, I probably won't for a while) and I've only watched Hot Fuzz once so the whole thing was a little fresher to me... plus this one had a little bit more of an emotional edge that pulled me in. Due to how much my girlfriend loves this film and tries to show it to everyone she can, I've seen this about five times now and it has grown on me.

Hi, I'm the worst.

PacificRim_zps3db680fc.png

6. Pacific Rim (59 points, appeared on ten ballots)

12YearsaSlave_zpsc56249c3.png

5. 12 Years a Slave (62 points, appeared on nine ballots)

Frozen_zps45b05ea9.png

4. Frozen (64 points, appeared on nine ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel. And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.

Now those are three very different but so great films.

Frozen. Amazing. Best soundtrack.

Pacific Rim. Amazing. Best action film of the year.

12 Years a Slave. Amazing. Most likely the film from 2013 that will have the longest lasting impact. Unfortunately a little low if the next three films are what I think they are.

Wolf of Wallstreet, Her and Inside Llewyn Davis surely?

Pacific Rim was perfectly fine, but nothing special. Not seen Frozen. 12 Years a Slave was excellent.