EWB's Top 30 Movies of 2013: THE RESULTS

GoGo Yubari

Evil Dead was definitely > The Conjuring.

You're Next was better still.

Evil Dead was definitely > The Conjuring.

You're Next was better still.

Agreed! You're Next would've been my favorite horror movie of last year if it weren't for Stoker.

Yeah, Stoker was ace.

So far the only one of these I've seen is Monsters University. Some of the others I've not even heard of.

Monsters University had its fun moments, but didn't really work for me overall - I'm not a huge fan of the original; it's nice in its own way, in the way that almost all Pixar films are, but it doesn't have the charm of a Toy Story or a Wall-E. It didn't have the depth that some of their other stuff has. So I wasn't overly fussed about the prospect of a prequel, but went to see it anyway. I don't remember a lot of it, but like I said, it was fun at times, but the overall concept didn't really work - you just can't really do a "college" movie for kids.

Yeah I liked both. I liked little things like all of the students going into the scare college putting their hand on the foot of the big monster statue. Even for a film that was essentially a wacky college hijinx movie but with MONSTERS it had a lot of neat little stuff that made it feel like a world.

Of those listed, I've only seen Star Trek Into Darkness and The Spectacular Now, both of which underwhelmed me quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, The Spectacular Now is still a good movie and Miles Teller knocks that role out of the fucking park but it was a bit more heavy handed than I anticipated. Star Trek Into Darkness was fine but nothing really beyond that, which was disappointing since I liked the first one quite a bit.

Other than that, I'll echo Benkid's opinion regarding horror movies. They're boring.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm not a huge horror buff and even tend to avoid most of them as a matter of personal taste (and cowardice), but I don't see what's gained by statements that essentially amount to "all horror movies are bad."

For instance, I just watched Cabin In The Woods last night. I would never have done watched it had it not been for countless people (mostly horror fans of some degree, some not) recommending it so highly. It was great fun. It was even a movie that somewhat depends upon your knowledge of horror tropes and even I got it. I'm still not likely to watch most horror films, but the genre does legitimately have something to offer.

• Like 2

Every genre has his bad movies, what I love about horror movies are the tension that can be in them. The gore is fun too sometimes. Like in Braindead.

Also, even if you don't like horror movies and you skip most of them, you miss out on some great masterworks like the original Romero Living Dead triology.

• Like 1

My issue with horror is more that the genre is so played out and it is really difficult to make a movie stand out. I just don't enjoy them any more unless they offering some different or a huge boost on the usual quality, and even then different isn't always the good kind of different either.

I just don't get dismissing an entire genre.

I don't think it's the same as dismissing another genre though, modern horror films have been following the exact same pattern for years, since maybe even before the first Paranormal Activity. The trailers are near identical, they're all shocky rather than actually scary, and they look like the same three people are making them all judging by 'from the directors of [insert very similar looking film here]' on every one.

That's just it though, not all horrors are the same. :-/

Sure, there's a lot of similar ones, and they tend to get pushed the most, but there are some quality efforts that are a bit differetn (like Stoker).