Tennis!

sahyder1

Lendl looked like he couldn't be more disgusted at a person crying. He's done a great job with Murray, I really hope he help him get that Grand Slam title. Think Murray have won a few people over today as well, I hope so at least.

Roger Federer now holds, well will next week, all the significant records in tennis history. And if he wants to make a last run of it, spend more time training, and be focused for the twilight run of his career I wouldn't rule out a number 18 or 19.

Murray will get his Grand Slam soon enough, Lendl has been getting him closer and closer. I would love to see it at Wimbledon, as I'm sure most people would, but anywhere would be great to see. He won a lot of affection this week, I'm pulling for the guy from now on.

I'm not a big sports guy myself, but thought this is a nice moment to mention this:

My favorite author, David Foster Wallace, has written a piece called "Roger Federer as Religious Experience" in 2006, which all of you might get a kick out of today.

Stoked for Federer. It was so ridiculous that he came up one match short of breaking Sampras' mark for most weeks at # 1 a few years ago, and just when it looked like he might never win another major or get a sniff at # 1 he ended up doing both today. I feel like Murray will eventually get a couple of Slams, but I'm glad that today wasn't his day.

• Admin
A bet placed on Wimbledon champion Roger Federer nearly a decade ago has netted more than £100,000 for Oxfam.

In 2003 Nick Newlife, from Oxfordshire, made a wager of £1,520, at odds of 66/1, that the Swiss tennis star would win seven Wimbledon titles by 2019.

Mr Newlife died in 2009 but had left the betting slip to Oxfam in his will.

Federer's defeat of Britain's Andy Murray in Sunday's Wimbledon final means the charity will now collect a payout from William Hill of £101,840.

Andrew Barton, from Oxfam, told BBC Radio 5 live that it had been a difficult match to watch because his loyalties were split.

"It's just so unfortunate that he nailed it against Andy Murray," he said.

"I was just sitting there watching the tennis and I kept finding myself calling for Murray, particularly in that long game in the third set.

"And then my head is telling me: Andrew, remember Oxfam gets the money if Federer wins."

Mr Newlife, from Tackley, who was 59 when he died, had written to William Hill requesting the bet in 2003.

Spokesman for the bookmaker Graham Sharpe has described the wager as "unique".

William Hill said it had already paid out £16,750 to Oxfam from another bet placed by Mr Newlife, of £250 at 66/1, that Federer would win 14 Grand Slam events.

The Swiss reached that mark at the 2009 French Open and is now a 17-time Grand Slam champion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I didn't really pay too much attention to the Toronto Masters given it was sort of lost in the kerfuffle of the Olympics, however we go straight into Cincinnati now as we build up to the US Open. Caught some of Cilic against Stakhovsky, and for anyone who cares Donald Young v Jesse Levine is ongoing, Young doing a good job of trying to lose yet again. 6-4 4-4 down, if he loses this it's 17 in a row for the one time prodigy of tennis. Currently rained off.

Edited by IAceI