Biggest upset ever?

Liam

Japan beating South Africa in the Rugby is the biggest upset ever. Not just in Rugby, but in sport.

Is there anything that can beat it?

On the BBC, people mentioned Tyson/Douglas, but in boxing, it can only take one lucky punch to defeat someone better than you.

Can anything compete with this?

It's kind of folklore here, so probably greatly biased but Munster shut-out the All Blacks in 1978 in a 12-0 win. Still the only time in history an Irish men's team of any kind has beaten New Zealand and it was their only loss on that tour too.

It's kind of folklore here, so probably greatly biased but Munster shut-out the All Blacks in 1978 in a 12-0 win. Still the only time in history an Irish men's team of any kind has beaten New Zealand and it was their only loss on that tour too.

I like that one.

I was thinking of the 1950 World Cup where USA defeated England 1-0. Obviously, not being around during that time makes it quite difficult to know how big it really was - a newspaper in the UK did report it as 10-1, assuming there was a typo, so there is that.

I like that one.

I was thinking of the 1950 World Cup where USA defeated England 1-0. Obviously, not being around during that time makes it quite difficult to know how big it really was - a newspaper in the UK did report it as 10-1, assuming there was a typo, so there is that.

What about the 2010 World Cup and the USA's huge 1-1 upset win over England?!

• Like 6

I'm probably also rather biased in that when I saw this thread, I instantly thought of Llanelli beating the All Blacks 9-3 in 1972, I mean, your example is probably bigger considering the shut-out but I guess it's all about how it's presented in the area.

In terms of football:

USA 1 England 0 1950 World Cup. 

Northern Ireland 2 Czechoslovakia 1 1958 World Cup. The Czechs would go to place 2nd or third at next World Cup, the 1960 European championships and the 1964 Olympics. Wales 2 Hungary 1 from that World Cup as well. This was largely the same all-conquering Hungary (minus Ferenc Puskas) that had battered England (twice) and finished runners up in 1954.

More recently, unseeded 300-1 odds Roberta Vinci beating Serena Williams in US Open semi finals should be up there.

Having watched the progression of the Japanese rugby team since I moved out there in 2008, it's not as big a shock as it first seems to European/Southern Hemisphere fans.

It's definitely a shock, but Japan have become a legit team over the last few years.