MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I'm still holding out on picking this up because of the issues with the franchise budgets. Apparently, converting all contracts to their real values really screwed up the financial system because they didn't adjust the rest of the finances within the game.

Operation Sports is littered with complaints about the matter, and none of the patches thus far have addressed it. People are seeing free agents signing for way too little... small market teams end up with massively inflated budgets. Big market teams still have more money, but there's no real need to manage your budget as a smaller market franchise once you get a year or two into the game... and quality free agents are still making up the vast majority of the free agent pool to start out new seasons.

The last one is an issue that I've noticed for a few years now, where I'll go see who is available still after spring training, and there are enough quality guys there that you could probably add a competitive team or two to the league.

So with the new rosters out, I've started my real franchise. I'm going to try to play a long term one with the Jays. My big moves have been to call up Vlad, and then trade for Albert Almora Jr. and Ozzie Albies. Both are still young, both are good, and Albies has the most team friendly contract in the league. I had to give up a lot of prospects, but nobody I particularly liked (and none of my top pitching prospects). I also had to include Ken Giles in the deals, but signed Craig Kimbrel to a one year deal to compensate. I plan on moving him at the deadline unless I'm in contention.

I'm 5-2 to start the season, but I attribute most of that to the awful pitching staffs of the Tigers and Orioles. Vlad has started off hitting over .400, Teoscar just hit 5 doubles in a single game, and Grichuk is the new Barry Bonds. I don't expect this to last, but it sure is fun!

Have you guys simmed at all to the first off season? I'm wondering if they've fixed arbitration so that guys aren't taking less than their previous deals in arb... or if they've fixed the budgets so that top end free agents aren't available after spring training in the next season... or if the small market teams end up with super inflated budgets.

The Operation Sports forums haven't had any news about any of this being fixed yet.

37 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Are you playing every game? I’m planning on starting a franchise with maybe Miami or Baltimore and managing every game. I may turn it into a Cube diary, we shall see.

"And then the Orioles lost to the Yankees for the 100th consecutive game in a row, remarkable!"

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Are you playing every game? I’m planning on starting a franchise with maybe Miami or Baltimore and managing every game. I may turn it into a Cube diary, we shall see.

I've played most, but I tend to sim some of the middle innings of games if I'm winning big or getting blown out. And this weekend I'll probably sim a lot to get close to the trade deadline. 

I play the last game of each series and any Critical Moments otherwise (other than hitting streak ones or trying to hit a guy's third home run).

I'm about 3 weeks into a Jays franchise. Just called up Vlad. He is hitless so far. Had a fun moment where I was down by 3 runs and got the bases loaded. Teoscar Hernandez hit a grand slam and did this epic bat flip, only for the defender to nearly make a leaping catch. He just missed it. 

• Like 2