MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

RTTS is the mode that I've played by far the most on the two versions of the series I own. I like controlling one player, rather than a whole team, and baseball is a sport that lends itself very well to that style of play. That said, it can get annoying when you're pitching a shutout and your own team can't score. That always seems to happen far too often to me.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

RTTS is the mode that I've played by far the most on the two versions of the series I own. I like controlling one player, rather than a whole team, and baseball is a sport that lends itself very well to that style of play. That said, it can get annoying when you're pitching a shutout and your own team can't score. That always seems to happen far too often to me.

This is a big reason why I stopped playing RTTS. Also I've always preferred dynasty/franchise modes, but I felt like no matter how good my teams were, if I was a fielder, my pitchers would give up a dozen runs every playoff game, and if I was a pitcher, none of my hitters would ever give me run support. 

• Like 1

The problem with Franchise/GM modes and sports games in 2019 is that the publishers don't see any money in them. They're an offline game mode with little to no micro-transactions. Much like WWE, it's more important to these companies to get the quick, cheap buck from its consumers, than it is to worry about the overall quality of the experience.

That said, I am very much stoked for in-season contract extensions. That's going to make my trade deadline activity much more interesting. Right now, I typically will make one or two upgrades, but I rarely spend any money there. It's usually money in for money out. The way that they've switched how the budgets work make it difficult to do a long-term tracking of how much money you have committed, and how much you can expect to be able to use in future years. So now, it'll be a lot less likely that I get to the off-season and have to scramble to move contracts out in order to re-sign my free agents that I want to keep.

There isn't a lot that they can do in regards to visual or gameplay upgrades at this point, I would imagine... but there is still a lot that could be added to Franchise or changed to improve the experience for those of us who only play that mode. Like I said though, those of us who fall into that group give them or $80 once a year and that's it. Diamond Dynasty players though? $80... plus more because they just lost to a better player... plus more because they heard that they might be able to get one of their favorites in a specific pack... plus more when they're bored with their team... it's ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The only sports game I can play team mode on is Madden (well, and NCAA14). Otherwise I just play career mode. I try franchise in 2k, but the Lakers (I have 18, so no LeBron) are so frustrating. Might try out a Dodger franchise for 18 tonight, does anyone have good sliders/settings?

EDIT: Ended up using the OS stuff, I've been posting there since most of those dudes where on MM. Once I got the pitching settings (Pulse, I can't do the meter), I put up 17ks with Kersh against the Giants in game one, but he gassed in the 9th and gave up a two run homer (I'd batted around in the 7th and put up 10) to lose the complete game shut out.

The talk radio style update is amazing. Imagine what they could do if they cared about off-line. I'm never going to get my perfect college football game :(

• 3 weeks later...

Much like OOTP, I didn't buy last years game so I plan to pick this one up as my buddy and I like to play against each other online. March to October might be a mode I check out though I'm more for playing every game rather than just key games.

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Am I missing something? It seems no different than Critical Situations in Franchise mode, doesn't it? 

Yeah, seems like it, except that you can win prizes for your online teams. Seems lame. The name is great though.

It's something they added, I guess last year? It's where if you have a pitcher pitching a no hitter, or you're losing by 2 runs with 3 men on, or you're closer is in a save situation, you can jump into the game and play it from that point on. 

There are several situations that the game will alert you to, if you're simulating them, so you can play. It's nice for someone like me who plays a handful of games each season while playing Franchise, and doesn't want to play every game. 

Seems like they refined that out and made it its own dedicated mode.  You only play certain games/situations, and if you perform well in them, you keep your team's momentum going and will perform better in the games that are simulated.  

I use critical situations when I do my test franchise, and just play through those at the MLB level, and none of the minor league games. Then when the OSFM rosters come out, I start my real franchise, where I've developed a shitty little system that allows me to go through multiple seasons while playing full games. Basically, if I win a game, I will simulate through the amount of games based on how many runs I won by.

So, if I win a game 6-2, I will simulate the next 4 MLB games and play the 5th. If it's AAA, I multiply it by 2. If it's AA ball, I multiply by 3. If I lose, I play the next game.

That way, I play a good chunk of games each season, and I'm spending time with my prospects in the minors, but the bulk of my games played are at the major league level. It really sucks when you go on a losing streak though.

On 14/04/2018 at 23:23, Maxx said:

Okay here’s one; I just got completely fucked over by the awful fielding in this game.  Took a no hitter to the last out in the 9th, and it got blown because the second baseman just ran past a routine ground ball.

Well that sucks, but at least I can probably escape with a win right?  Wrong.  3 fucking plays in a row, my fielders run up to the ball and refuse to pick it up, thus the bases are loaded and then I lose on a bloop single.

Fucking garbage.

On 15/04/2018 at 10:55, Maxx said:

Had more fielding bullshit cost me another win.  It’s ridiculous because it’s entirely out of my control, as soon as the ball is hit either my infielders won’t move towards it intially, making it impossible to stop little dribblers, or my outfielders will automatically start taking a bad angle and ruin any chance I have of running it down.

Really considering ditching this game for God of War or something.

On 20/04/2018 at 01:21, Maxx said:

Yup I’m done with it.  Had more of the same shit happen.  More of me being automatically started off at bad angles, and more of my fucking fielders just not picking up the fucking ball.  Fuck this shit.