Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

6 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Meaning it has also been 8 years since Liverpool broke Robbie Keane and turned him into a player that never scores :shifty: 

101 goals in 155 games for LA Galaxy...

3 hours ago, Nerf said:

I remember being so ridiculously excited about that transfer. You live and learn...

The way Keane floundered at Liverpool still pisses me off. He was brilliant in his prime and that not working out was all on Liverpool and Rafa.

8 hours ago, TCO said:

The way Keane floundered at Liverpool still pisses me off. He was brilliant in his prime and that not working out was all on Liverpool and Rafa.

I believed that the summer Keane was signed Rafa was attempting to make some changes to his system and the only played he was able to convince Hicks and Gillette to allow this to work was Keane.  So, Rafa ends up with an odd man out 17million player.

Yeah, wasn't it Gareth Barry that Rafa had as his main transfer targets that summer? If I remember correctly he wanted Barry to protect the defenders to allow Gerrard and Alonso to go forward with one striker up top, which he wanted to be Keane but only if he got Barry first. 

So of course he only got Keane AND had Alonso sold to pay for it. How he made it through that time without killing one of Hicks & Gillette I'll never know. 

2 hours ago, hugobomb said:

Yeah, wasn't it Gareth Barry that Rafa had as his main transfer targets that summer? If I remember correctly he wanted Barry to protect the defenders to allow Gerrard and Alonso to go forward with one striker up top, which he wanted to be Keane but only if he got Barry first. 

So of course he only got Keane AND had Alonso sold to pay for it. How he made it through that time without killing one of Hicks & Gillette I'll never know. 

Not quite.

He tried to ship Alonso that year, with Barry as his replacement, but it didn't happen until Real Madrid came calling a year later. I believe the plan for Keane at the time was for him to shadow Torres in the hole, but that didn't work out because he spent much of that title-challenging season injured. Then Kuyt stepped up as our main striker, and it just didn't work out for Keane.

He tried to recreate that idea a year later when he moved for Jovetic, but the board wouldn't fund the move and we ended up with just Aquilani, Johnson and Kyriakos coming in, finished 7th, and the rest is history.

12 hours ago, Baddar said:

The thought of Fellaini and Cattermole together. :lol:

491683143ecea1098441f5bb7ebdfcfce64c2c24

• Like 10