Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

• Admin

Daryl Janmaat is to have a medical at Watford after Newcastle United agreed to sell the defender for £7.5m. The Holland right-back will be replaced at St James’ Park when DeAndre Yedlin completes a £5m move from Tottenham Hotspur. Although the deal remains vulnerable to a late hijacking from West Ham United, Watford are confident Janmaat, who joined Newcastle from Feyenoord in 2014, will sign. Tim Krul, Newcastle’s Holland goalkeeper who has been sidelined for almost a year since rupturing a cruciate ligament while on international duty, is expected to sign a one-year contract extension before joining Ajax on a season-long loan. Krul, who has fewer than 12 months remaining on his deal, is expected to be fit at some point next month. He is likely to replace Barcelona-bound Jasper Cillessen.

Sky sources also report that Sunderland are closing in on Atletico Madrid defender Javi Manquillo. The deal under discussion is a season-long loan for the former Liverpool player. Sky sources are also say Sunderland are interested in Barnsley centre half Alfie Mawson.

• Admin

Newcastle have confirmed Henri Saivet has left the club on loan for the rest of the season. The attacker, who has made just four appearances for Newcastle since joining in January, has signed for Saint-Etienne.

West Ham have agreed a £5.5m fee with the Swiss club Sion for Edimilson Fernandes, with the 20-year-old midfielder set to travel to London on Wednesday for a medical. Fernandes, who is a cousin of the former Manchester City player Gélson Fernandes, is a product of Sion’s youth system and made 26 appearances in the Swiss Super league last season, scoring one goal. He also started the Europa League group stage tie against Liverpool last October, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

14 minutes ago, Benji said:

That lack of ambition should surely be a sign he's not fit to be England number one any longer, even before you consider the fact he won't get many games. I'm not saying kick him out of the squad, but certainly not number one.

I wouldn't call it a lack of ambition. I don't even like Joe Hart, but this is clearly that he loves City and is in denial that his time there is over.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nerf said:

I wouldn't call it a lack of ambition. I don't even like Joe Hart, but this is clearly that he loves City and is in denial that his time there is over.

I'm sure when he's been playing reserve football in front of 30 people, in the snow, in Carlisle, he'll think about the January transfer window.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colly said:

US Mutant Ninja Turtle! Our first since Onyewu!

Uhh, Lord Colly, in the UK they were know as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. Because Ninja's are bad or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benji said:

That lack of ambition should surely be a sign he's not fit to be England number one any longer, even before you consider the fact he won't get many games. I'm not saying kick him out of the squad, but certainly not number one.

I would agree with you but it could very easily just be that he 1. Loves Man City and wants to try and show Pep he can win the #1 spot back, 2. Doesn't want to move abroad and suddenly uproot his whole life and family and 3. Nobody local wants to sign him right now. Disappointingly Everton seem to no longer be bothered because of his wages (despite money apparently no longer being an object) and because Stekelenburg has had two good games.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I would agree with you but it could very easily just be that he 1. Loves Man City and wants to try and show Pep he can win the #1 spot back, 2. Doesn't want to move abroad and suddenly uproot his whole life and family and 3. Nobody local wants to sign him right now. Disappointingly Everton seem to no longer be bothered because of his wages (despite money apparently no longer being an object) and because Stekelenburg has had two good games.

But if he isn't playing he can't expect an England spot. We'd have him tho.

1 minute ago, MDK said:

But if he isn't playing he can't expect an England spot. We'd have him tho.

Well true, I forgot to clarify I meant I was arguing against him lacking ambition. I agree that only players getting regular playing time should be selected for England. I want to see Butland given a run anyway if he's fit enough, he's a superb keeper.

Just now, Adam said:

Well true, I forgot to clarify I meant I was arguing against him lacking ambition. I agree that only players getting regular playing time should be selected for England. I want to see Butland given a run anyway if he's fit enough, he's a superb keeper.

I'd love to see Butland get a crack at No1 so maybe Joe can stay where he is for a while >_>

Clearly Pep favours is Willy over his Hart. Typical man.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MDK said:

I'd love to see Butland get a crack at No1 so maybe Joe can stay where he is for a while >_>

Clearly Pep favours is Willy over his Hart. Typical man.

Whereas you evidently favour the But-crack.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

24 minutes ago, Adam said:

To be fair, there's money no longer being an object and then there's smashing your wage structure to sign a goalkeeper that may or may not be a huge improvement over your current keeper. :P 

1 minute ago, Troy Saint said:

To be fair, there's money no longer being an object and then there's smashing your wage structure to sign a goalkeeper that may or may not be a huge improvement over your current keeper. :P 

I think he'd be a big improvement personally, sometimes you have to take these opportunities when they present themselves. I'm just tired of seeing all this talk all summer of big signings - Mata, Witsel, Koulibaly, Hart, Sirigu etc. etc. and none ending up having much substance. Although I am happy with who has come in, I still feel the squad is 2/3 players short.