Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

On 8/20/2016 at 15:17, Cymbols said:

Ahh, makes sense. Still, absolutely his worst season. I feel so bad for the guy, gets so much stick from Liverpool fans. Not his fault they don't play a style that suited him. Hope he scores a hat trick against them and takes a shit in front of the kop tbh.

Anyone who has given Benteke stick is an idiot and is guilty of lumping him in with signings like Balotelli and Andy Carroll. Even though the football at Liverpool didn't suit him he still managed to get goals. He even sent out a little goodbye and thank you statement. I think Origi has the potential to be the pacy and powerful striker that Liverpool want and Benteke isn't

He'll do well at Palace. He's a proven Premier League striker.

• Like 1

Was Balotelli even given a chance at Liverpool? Whenever I watched him play he was having to come to the halfway line to get a touch. I won't even address wor Andy, all they needed to do was get Gerrard to deliver a couple of crosses and he'd have smashed 10+ goals just from set pieces, we managed it with Joey Barton...

Man Utd have sold Tyler Blackett to Reading.

I count that eight of the promising youth brigade sold or loaned out now this summer, why? There are still a few left - Lingard, Rashford who are fairly well established now, Pereira - but Man Utd have always been keen to emphasise youth I thought and it seems to be going by the wayside now Mourinho is there. It's a shame.

It also goes back to the "Man Utd are unlikable again" discussion. Dicks like Zlatan in, giving youth a chance out. Back near the bottom of the "neutrals opinion" pile you go. (Don't worry, still above Chelsea :shifty:)

Blackett was one of the ones expected to leave. He wasn't with us last season either.

For people like Borthhwick-Jackson, barring injuries to at least two ahead of him, he isn't getting in. Same goes for the likes of Januzaj and Wilson.

I want Pereira to be given a chance but he isn't getting into our midfield at the moment either, so a loan move away wouldn't hurt him if one presents itself.

Blackett only got an opportunity in the first team because he was left footed. Keane (sold by LVG) and Thorpe (Captain of the U21s sold by LVG) were both miles ahead of him. He couldn't even get on the Celtic bench. Everyone sold so far i.e. Love, McNair, Blackett, Fletcher aren't good enough to break into the first team and those that might eventually be are on loan to actually play.  

• Like 1

It's just a whole scale stepping away from the policies that contributed to us being so successful. Even removed from Class of 92, there was Brown and O'Shea who led the academy group of the late 90s, Darren Fletcher coming later, and a bevy of talented and promising players in the period from 2003-2008 where we won the FIFA Youth Cup twice, the short lived Champions Youth Cup, the FA Youth Cup and the Milk Cup twice. That period produced the likes of Tom Heaton, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Kieran Richardson, Luke Steele, Ron-Robert Zieler (now a World Cup winner), Danny Drinkwater (now a Premier League winner) and Danny Welbeck, also a Premier League winner and FA Cup Winner.

It's a process that started in the final years of Fergie's reign, but with Jose it's only going to continue.

• Like 1

I love it when United bring youngsters through, but Fergie brought through plenty himself that weren't good enough. He became untouchable so if he didn't get results with the players brought in from the academy, there'd be no consequences. Managers now have much more pressure applied to spend money on big name players to challenge for honours. Just look at Arsenal now. It's great when "one of our own" comes through and bags a last minute winner, but fans also expect immediate success. 

BREAKING: Sky Sources: @HullCity in talks with @SpursOfficial over transfer of midfielder @RyanMason. http://skysports.tv/z5Ptrl  #SSNHQ

Yedlin supposedly off to Newcastle as well. 

Surely Chadli will be off after not making the match day squad on Saturday, Onomah, Mason and Tom Carroll preferred. 

I'm guessing we've got some players coming in, because although we have some excellent youth prospects coming through, all these departures make our squad look a little thin. 

• Like 1

I was personally surprised that Winks wasn't on the bench ahead of Carroll and Mason on Saturday, looked very good in pre season. Edwards will get minutes at some point (seriously, looks so talented), but we could really do with another player to play behind the striker, and potentially another playmaker. I know Son's fatigued from the Olympics (and has also been linked with a move away) but our bench looked a bit average this week. I know we've got Moussa to come back -- and supposedly the N'Koudou is back on, which will be nice as the team could do with some more pace. 

• Like 1