WWE 2K17

Hellraiser

No commentary is one of the reasons Here Comes the Pain was the best game of the entire series.  You didn't even need it.  Then in SmackDown vs. Raw they fixed what wasn't broken by playing the game's audio track in the background, meaning you got to hear Zebrehead's "Alone" every single match.

I think the next game after that they brought commentary back and had two commentary teams for the first time to focus on the SmackDown vs. Raw aspect.  And for a first attempt it really wasn't all that bad.  But it never improved over the course of the next decade.

• Like 2

There are so many variables to the way a wrestling match works versus a bout in a UFC game that make it super hard too - I almost feel like it would be the workload of an entire other team to try and piece out what kind of stuff should be said in every situation, and even then you could only do so many lines about each possibility before it becomes repetitive anyways. The commentary in the UFC games becomes repetitive eventually anyways and while it's a nice addition and something to put in a bit of a 'wow' factor it's not a deciding factor in buying for me.

The same could be said for a football match but you don't hear 'MESSI!... passes to... NEYMAR! for... .... BARCELONA!' in FIFA or PES.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Busch Piazza said:

No commentary is one of the reasons Here Comes the Pain was the best game of the entire series.  You didn't even need it.  Then in SmackDown vs. Raw they fixed what wasn't broken by playing the game's audio track in the background, meaning you got to hear Zebrehead's "Alone" every single match.

I think the next game after that they brought commentary back and had two commentary teams for the first time to focus on the SmackDown vs. Raw aspect.  And for a first attempt it really wasn't all that bad.  But it never improved over the course of the next decade.

It worked with HCTP because instead of commentary they had the in-game music playing, but it was all instrumental "gamey" music. I don't remember SVR having actual songs playing over matches, not to say it didn't happen, but that game definitely had commentary from J.R. and Lawler. HCTP was the only one without it.

I'll allow shitty commentary if they bring back Shane McMahon's "In to the ropes... IN to the ropes!" from WWF Attitude.

The commentary is really just like madlibs at this point isn't it. All sounds so discordant it's basically not that far from "Hello SMITHERS... you're QUITE good at turnING me ON."

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Gazz said:

The same could be said for a football match but you don't hear 'MESSI!... passes to... NEYMAR! for... .... BARCELONA!' in FIFA or PES.

In fairness, a massive bulk of football game commentary is filled in with simply saying the player's name when he receives the ball. This is perfectly natural, of course, but you don't get the same kind of easy lulls in commentating a wrestling match.

...Although at this stage just hearing Michael Cole flatly say "Suplex." ... "Back drop." ... "Side kick." would still be infinitely preferable to hearing Lawler give the same fucking speech about how anything can happen when you're outside the ring every time you slide underneath the bottom rope.

15 minutes ago, MDK said:

ISS Pro had quality commentary 

SCORCHIO! 

Actua Soccer 3 was the peak of 90s sports games and commentary. Barry Davies and Martin O'Neill ran that shit with Robbie Williams on loop in the menus too!

1 hour ago, MDK said:

ISS Pro had quality commentary 

SCORCHIO! 

One of the early ISS games had commentary done by someone by Clive Tydsley, all accept the team name 'Nigeria', which was obviously done by someone completely different, in a Nigerian accent and about four times as loud as anything else, so you'd end up with gems like

Today, we're here live at Konami stadium to witness a match between... England and... KNIDGE-JEER-EEYAH! Let's get ready for kickoff.

• Like 3

I hardly play with the volume on anyways but I'd like to summarize that the commentary in WWE games normally sucks because the commentators involved in this game suck.

I'm hoping next year's game it accurately reflects the new commentary teams and even if they use the same system it'll probably sound a lot better now that King will no longer be there.

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

One of the early ISS games had commentary done by someone by Clive Tydsley, all accept the team name 'Nigeria', which was obviously done by someone completely different, in a Nigerian accent and about four times as loud as anything else, so you'd end up with gems like

I need to hear this.