Great British Bake Off

Liam

26 minutes ago, FLiam said:

Netflix doesn’t even have all the seasons I don’t think. Makes it difficult to work out which ones we’ve missed. 

I demand the release of every series.

iirc its only the first two series that netflix doesn't have. plus one of the series isn't under the regular bake off, its called something like "bake off: the beginnings" and then they/PBS also fucked around with the order a bit for the first couple series they aired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This season feels very stratified. It's basically Jurgen vs Guiseppe for the win, with Jurgen strong favourite. Chigs vs Chrystelle for who gets to make up the numbers in the final, and George vs Lizzie for who gets knocked out next and then the week after, with George almost certainly going this week.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 12:19, Gazz said:

This season feels very stratified. It's basically Jurgen vs Guiseppe for the win, with Jurgen strong favourite. Chigs vs Chrystelle for who gets to make up the numbers in the final, and George vs Lizzie for who gets knocked out next and then the week after, with George almost certainly going this week.

Spoiler

This was almost spot on.

Jurgen not being in the final is a surprise but it seems to happen every season that 1 or 2 of the bakers who are in danger in a couple early episodes put it all together and adapt to the competition. Meanwhile poor Jurgen came in red hot. And he basically got overtaken in the final stretch.

I thought Giuseppe was fortunate last week though. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a casual Bake Off fan...) but it felt as if they put him through on past performance, Lizzie clearly didn't deserve to go out. Felt like Farke going after the Chelsea win. 

Wouldn't happen on Strictly!

Yeah there's inconsistencies in how they send people home. Lizzie had an absolutely stellar week and they sent her home. Clearly of the 5 remaining she was a class below but not during that week. They basically made their decision based on who was most likely to not eff up in the weeks ahead. Whereas this week's elimination they tossed aside complete body of work and went with that week's performance alone.

Spoiler

Also the real death flag is when they open patisserie week with someone saying "I feel very confident about this week". Same thing happened to Hermine last year.

• 1 month later...

I have got into this series of Junior Bake Off so much more than I have ever enjoyed any proper GBBO series. I've only just got past episode 5, so haven't met the second round of kids yet, but Lola is the most adorable child I have ever seen. 100% pulling for her to win.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Richard Osman tweeted a congratulations yesterday but there were a load of miseries on the replies. An excellent light entertainment presenter is exactly what you need for the show, she'll be excellent.

For all the Americans who watch the Bake Off, this is what you're getting:

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Not a single comment all season. How times have changed.

I thought it was a pretty good season all told, some very fun bakers. Saku obviously the best, may she gets invited back for specials often. Alison was enjoyable as the new host, etc. Glad they realized the ethnic weeks were pretty tacky. There was only one truly terrible technical and it wasn't down to a lack of skill, it was down to them giving everyone 15 less minutes than they should've.

Spoiler

I was realizing in the semifinals that Matty was taking every bit of feedback whereas Josh and Dan were basically stagnant - they came in as good as they finished. And I went "hmm I seem to recall Paul & Prue love it when a baker listens to them". Matty looked like a guy who was going out in week 5 or week 6 at the start, hung on, and then the last few weeks survived because other bakers bottled it (poor Tasha).

And then he evidently had a near perfect final showstopper. Still surprised it wasn't Josh, who was better start-to-finish than anyone but they love editing this show in a way where they can sneak in the surprise winners from time to time.

Congrats to Matty and his classical Greek sculpture physique.