The January Transfer Window - 2018

Lineker

From a squad perspective, it's better off that he's gone. Gets rid of him and his messing about with "injuries".

The whole thing kinda reeks of Barca wanting him before he gets any more expensive and the player wanting to go because he's afraid they'll lose interest. 

Cue Liverpool signing Thomas Lamar, probably? I dunno. Apparently the club "aren't" interested in Marhez.

I definitely think we have to buy now to give the squad belief were an ambitious side that wants to win and challenge for trophies. Otherwise it sends the worst message to Salah/Bobby/Mane and co. 

I would hope that we get Lemar this window. Give him the chance to bed in now, hopefully find form in the Prem. I think he can learn to play that deeper role Phil has ultimately done. Either him or make a run after Draxler, who surely will want some more regular playing time.

While Goretzka is probably going to choose Bayern over us I feel, I hope we still try for him as I think he could be a box to box gem alongside Keita. I also think we should be going hard after Max Meyer. He has gone under the radar because of Goretzka but he is absolute class and will get better.

15 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Why would Lemar leave Monaco for Liverpool? 

Been lots of stuff in the press for weeks and weeks that Lemar is keen on a move to Liverpool or Arsenal. Monaco are hardly an attractive long-term prospect considering the rate they sell their best players, and do not have anywhere near the historical standing in Europe that Liverpool do.

25 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

Been lots of stuff in the press for weeks and weeks that Lemar is keen on a move to Liverpool or Arsenal. Monaco are hardly an attractive long-term prospect considering the rate they sell their best players, and do not have anywhere near the historical standing in Europe that Liverpool do.

So he's off to a club that also sell off their best players fairly regularly? 

39 minutes ago, MadJack said:

So he's off to a club that also sell off their best players fairly regularly? 

Sure. Hey, I'm an Everton fan so you won't get me into a back-and-forth defending Liverpool :P

I've just read anyway that they're close to signing Mahrez which is an interesting choice.

4 hours ago, MDK said:

Why not promote one of the youth prospects? 

If Kopp can't sign someone he really wants (and who he believes wants to be at the club) that will happen.

Ben Woodburn is probably the most likely player who'd come in and play in that position. There are some headlines out there suggesting that he might not be going out on loan now that Coutinho is gone. But he's not someone I'd see starting every single game. I'd wager Alexander-Arnold and Gomes are getting more starts than ideal because of Clyne and Moreno being out.

There's also, according to the Telegraph, the hope that Liverpool might bring Naby Keita in earlier than planned.

Outfield players aside, Liverpool have also been linked with goalkeepers.

14 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Outfield players aside, Liverpool have also been linked with goalkeepers.

A top class keeper would be much better that replacing Coutinho. Oblak or whoever PSG have sitting on the bench. 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that a goalkeeper is Liverpool's most needed acquisition, to do it midseason may not be beneficial. You often see second choice keepers drafted in midseason (for injury or bad form from the #1) struggle because they don't have a strong understanding with the first choice back four; introduce a keeper from outside the club and they have no understanding with the back four.