The January Transfer Window - 2018

Lineker

So it seems like it will be Walcott / Sanchez out and Aubamayeng / Mkhitaryan in. 

Really not sure how I feel about this. I just know that seeing Sanchez turn out for Manchester United is going to be shit. Had it in my head he was going to end up at City for about a year, now at Mourinho's United? <_<

Unacceptable that we are selling him to that lot.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Sunderland have offered to rip up Jack Rodwell's contract.

How does that work?

"Can we rip up your contract?" 

"No, it says you have to give me £50k a week. Keep paying please". 

9 hours ago, Kaney said:

Now Chelsea want in for Sanchez :lol:

Stinks of Sanchez's agent going "oh fuck, City have officially announced they've pulled out - must invent alternative interest to maintain leverage with United when ironing out final details".

No way are we bothering at this stage.

9 hours ago, Lineker said:

Sunderland have offered to rip up Jack Rodwell's contract.

Expect Chelsea to immediately snap him up then <_<

Now now, we can't have ALL our "because they're English" squad players in midfield - we've already got Drinkwater and Barkley. We're overdue an arbitrary full-back purchase, I think.

• Admin

Alexis Sanchez’s move to Manchester United depends on Henrikh Mkhitaryan agreeing terms with Arsenal.

That’s according to the Armenian international’s agent Mino Raiola who has told Sky Sports News that “Sanchez is part of Mkhi’s deal. Not the other way around.  Without him, Sanchez simply cannot go to United.”

Vitally, it’s understood that if agreement can be reached,  the deal will be a straight player swap and will not include any fee for Sanchez.

Swansea deals for Atletico Madrid forward Kevin Gameiro and midfielder Nicolas Gaitan are unlikely to progress, according to Sky sources. There have been discussions between the clubs but an agreement couldn’t be reached.

I applaud their ambition, but there is absolutely no way anyone is going to leave Atleti for relegation bound Swansea.

• Like 1

Gameiro and Gaitan are no slouches either, both could easily get into clubs a good way higher up the table.

I'm happy with Walcott, we need a pacy wide man and he can be an excellent player. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery. It worked out great when Gareth Barry came here, ditto Phil Neville. And Aaron Lennon!

As for a straight swap deal, that's bizarre. I cannot believe Arsenal are letting Sanchez join Man Utd to be honest, I'd be furious if I was a Gunner. How many other players have made that swap since the Fergie/Wenger era began?

Chelsea seem to have long established a policy of letting players go pretty much wherever the fuck they like (e.g. Cech, Mata, Matic, etc.). Rarely if ever does any other club do the same for us.

Not that selling players abroad seems to save us in the long-run either (cough, KDB, cough, Salah, cough).

39 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Nasri, Clichy, Gallas, Kolo Toure, Ashley Cole and RVP all got sold to rivals. And there's the more recent one with Ox going to Liverpool.

I prefer it when we sell a player and they move abroad - less chance of it coming back to haunt us then.

What I would say, is with the majority of those, we did sell at the right time and their best days were behind them. 

Toure, Adebayor, Nasri, Clichy and Gallas all definitely fall into that bracket.

Although Clichy and Nasri went to have success in terms of trophies, I wasn’t particularly unhappy in the end as we had a perfectly capable replacement for Clichy and Nasri was just a prick.

When it comes to Cole and van Persie though. Sigh. 

On the Ox sale, I’m completely fine with that one. We have had him on our books since he as 17 and he just hasn’t developed as we thought. There is a heck of a talent in there somewhere, he just doesn’t do it enough and when he does get on a decent run of form, he’ll get a niggling injury, be out for a few weeks and he’d have to start all over again. Getting £35m(?) for him was a good bit of business and I certainly won’t begrudge Liverpool if he does turn out to be a real solid first teamer. Sometimes a player just doesn’t fit certain surroundings. 

The main reason van Persie left was as he didn’t agree with the way the club was moving forward, at the time I had bought into all this talk about us being able to compete once the stadium was paid for and thought van Persie could have shown more loyalty and seen it through. Now we are where we are, and I can see exactly why he made the decision to leave.