Summer Transfer Window 2019

Lineker

45 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Spurs signed someone! 

A teenager who played half a dozen games up front for Notts County!!

@Bobfoc

I've seen him play, but only in an brief late substitute appearance in what was his only home game. He looked quite pacy, but he didn't affect the game in any meaningful way. I hope he does really well, though. If nothing else, the reported £200,000 should help as the South African consortium tries to complete the takeover before administration is enforced.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

Not a transfer, but United have offer Juan Mata a new deal.

just why?! he doesnt fit the system, hes a great no.10 (or was) but thats not something utd play with

Does a transfer ban include signing free agents? There's an awful lot decent players available at the moment, including some Chelsea old guard, and it might be worth filling out the squad just to keep it going for a season or two. Sturridge, Welbeck, Herrera, and Mata could all make for decent-ish rotation options. The Independent (via Google) also reliably informs me that Ospina, Vorm, and players called Rabiot, Brahmini, and Pereira are available as cover in positions with aging players.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Does a transfer ban include signing free agents? There's an awful lot decent players available at the moment, including some Chelsea old guard, and it might be worth filling out the squad just to keep it going for a season or two. Sturridge, Welbeck, Herrera, and Mata could all make for decent-ish rotation options. The Independent (via Google) also reliably informs me that Ospina, Vorm, and players called Rabiot, Brahmini, and Pereira are available as cover in positions with aging players.

I believe the ban is technically with registering new players. So you could still sign someone for 70 million; you just wouldn't be able to register him to play.

Man United had a bid “in excess of” £40m for Aaron Wan-Bissaka rejected by Crystal Palace. They will reportedly consider offers of £60m plus.

Football is seriously broken. 

This is a kid who’s played one season of Premier League football. 

Eh, not really. He's statistically the best defensive full back in the league, he's 21 and he's English, which is £20m as a baseline.

• Like 4

I remember getting several years into a Football Manager game a few years ago, working my way up from non-league to manage Arsenal, and being baffled by clubs asking more than 50-60 million for players like Victor Anichebe (who had developed into a goal machine for Everton), but it has ended up reality with how the market has gone. Wan-Bissaka has consistently performed to a very high level for Palace for nearly 18 months, he's worth the amount of money they're asking for him in today's transfer climate when you combine the ability he's shown with the sheer potential he still has.

If Palace sell him and Zaha for big money this summer, they could buy a whole new bloody team near enough.

It would also be a signing that would fill a position in the squad ideally for a long period of time. 

The potential long term benefits outweigh the cost

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

I want AWB. 

For a moment I thought this was AVB and I had  missed something 

I’m not really suggesting he wouldn’t be worth the money persé. It’s more that we have gotten to a point in which Crystal Palace can say no to £40m from Manchester United for one of their players and demand £20m more.

The amount of money in the game is fucking ludicrous. 

A player of perhaps equal talent and potential from abroad wouldn’t cost anywhere near that, and people wonder why so many teams are put off buying British talent? 

14 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

A player of perhaps equal talent and potential from abroad wouldn’t cost anywhere near that, and people wonder why so many teams are put off buying British talent? 

Might even get worse depending on how Brexit changes the foreign quota rules.

23 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I’m not really suggesting he wouldn’t be worth the money persé. It’s more that we have gotten to a point in which Crystal Palace can say no to £40m from Manchester United for one of their players and demand £20m more.

The amount of money in the game is fucking ludicrous. 

While I agree that money is really stupid these days in footy, it's nice that clubs in the Prem can go to the bigger teams "nah fuck off give us this"

Years ago they would be in a position where the big clubs could bully them. 

• Like 1