the masked singer uk is shit

K

i dunno why i watched it, morbid curiosity or whatever, but it's so shit.

i don't really understand the concept for one, like the audience is supposed to vote for the worst of a pair of singers (three times) then of the bottom three, the worst one is chosen by the panel to unmask themselves, but like... are people actually voting for the worst performer, or just the one they'd most like to see unmasked? Also... who cares?

Also Ken Jeong is pissing me off. His running joke is that he stands up and delivers a long monologue about how he knows who each singer is, but the punchline is it's like bea arthur or thearesa may or someone ridiculous. it's shit.

anyway, now onto my worst bit, the hosts have obviously been told to guess major celebrities that ITV can't afford to add some kind of tension. Like they're guessing fuckin Idris Elba and shit. Like sure, Idris Elba has dressed as a fuckin pervert hedgehog or whatever to do a shit karaoke version of some pop song on a bottom of the barrel talent show hosted by a man who is most famous for masturbating on the internet.

IT'S NOT GONNA BE IDRIS ELBA, IT'S GONNA BE SOME ASSHOLE WHO GOT KICKED OFF OF X-FACTOR IN THE QUARTER FINALS OR WHATEVER

Like episode one the celebrity was

bianca from eastenders

, fuck off. who cares.

anyway Kats and Jook probably like it so sorry for dunking on your new favourite show guys love you both.

• Like 3

I quite enjoy it purely for the ridiculousness of it, but yeah the guesses are truly insane. Ignoring Dr. Ken's madness, the "serious" guesses from Davina et al are in another universe.

It is at least better than the UK's attempts to do Lip Sync Battle with guys off Hollyoaks as the big names and Professor Green as the like-for-like replacement for LL Cool J.

13 minutes ago, K said:

IT'S NOT GONNA BE IDRIS ELBA, IT'S GONNA BE SOME ASSHOLE WHO GOT KICKED OFF OF X-FACTOR IN THE QUARTER FINALS OR WHATEVER

This is the exact same thing as in the US, every goddamn week they guess like Jamie Foxx or Beyonce and then it's like "Boyd Gruthers from the obscure mid-00's sitcom Fudchump Point"

• Like 1

Ok I've just found out who the singer was for episode two, and I think that whoever it was backstage at ITV that suggested that

70-year old former home secretary and shadow chancellor of the exchequer Alan Johnson

would make a good addition to the show, should have their harddrive searched, because who wants to see that person singing

walk like an egyption

while dressed as a

"""""""sexy""""""" pharoah?

Only some kind of pervert and i do not trust them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love the US version. I don't know if they changed things over there or not, but typical it's that everybody votes for their favorite performer and the person with the lowest number of votes has to unmask.

And Ken Jeong was really good in the first season, but got a bit old during the second. 

6 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I love the US version. I don't know if they changed things over there or not, but typical it's that everybody votes for their favorite performer and the person with the lowest number of votes has to unmask.

And Ken Jeong was really good in the first season, but got a bit old during the second. 

i think the uk is just bad at stuff like this. making a big spectacle isn't really our thing, and it's just well shit when the pay-off is jonathan ross pretending to give a shit about some soap star that no-one has seen for ten years

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Is Ken Jeong the person who hosted that horrible Raw episode with Jeremy Piven?

Ken Jeong is the Spanish teacher in Community, and the guy from the Hangover movies.

So Ken Jeong is doing the same schtick he does in the U.S. version, including the "I know exactly who this is..." bit? 

Of the two seasons they've done here, he has been right a couple of times, and this past season he was the only one to figure out who Thingmajig was. With a logical explanation why. 

3 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

So Ken Jeong is doing the same schtick he does in the U.S. version, including the "I know exactly who this is..." bit? 

yeah, and he stands up and makes everyone be quiet while he's doing it. it's shit.

its terrible but so much fun, my wife and I love it and the guessing. The panel is awful - Ken Jeong is the only tolerable one but his same shtick is getting old. Jenny McCarthy - pass, Robin Thicke - hard pass but at least he tries not to sound like a dipshit, Nicole Sherzinger - why?, Nick Cannon - pretty meh.

I could definitely do without Jenny and Nicole. I don't mind Nick and Robin too much. As long as you don't think of it too serious of a show, it's fun. The second season wasn't too fun at the start as the people being revealed weren't all that great (Johnny Weir? Ali? The doctor? Ugh). But after getting them out of the way, it opened up a lot. Probably helped that we weren't watching them live and was binge watching on Hulu.

Also, I knew who Thingamajig was from the start. The only one I managed to guess correctly this seasn.

• Like 1

Heidi (my wife) and I have watched both seasons of the American version. (Season 3 starts after the Super Bowl) We keep a notebook and write down the clues each week so we can keep track and make guesses.

Without dropping any spoilers on who the celebrities in the U.S. version are.....

Season one, Heidi and I both figured out Pineapple and Bee right off the bat. Heidi knew who Raven was immediately, while I figured out who Peacock and Monster were pretty fast. We kept changing our guesses on Alien, but figured it out by her next to last performance. We didn't get Hippo or Poodle right at all. Everyone else we got right, but not immediately. (Though Heidi didn't believe me on who Lion was until I showed her some evidence.)

Season two, we got Ladybug, Egg and Flower immediately. I got Ice Cream right, but Heidi didn't only because she really doesn't know who that celebrity is. I had Fox figured out by his third performance, and Heidi agreed. She refused to agree with me on Black Widow at all, because for a while she thought the person who Black Widow turned out to be was Penguin. I figured out Rottweiler by his fourth performance, but had to show Heidi. It took us a while to figure out Flamingo. Heidi got Butterfly right before I did. We did not get Penguin, Tree, Eagle or Thingmajig right, and Heidi had a guess for Tree that was outrageous (Michelle Obama!).

Incidentally, we had a  guess for Leopard that we switched to Thingmajig and got wrong, because neither turned out to be that celebrity. But we got Leopard right when we changed our guess.

The wrong guess?

Dennis Rodman.

I will drop one spoiler, because the judges are dumb: Jamie Foxx is not a contestant on season two.

The judges don't really bother me, but Ken's act has gotten old. Nick does a better job hosting this than he did America's Got Talent. Terry Crews is an upgrade on that show, and Tyra Banks seemed out of place. (Would have made a better judge than host)

*edited* Since T-Pain and Patti LaBelle were mentioned, I'll tell you this: The clues T-Pain gave pointed fairly quick to it being him, but what sealed the deal for me  is that he performed a song on the show that he'd covered as himself for Yahoo's Pepsi Smash series. Though he did it in his style for Pepsi Smash, but a straightforward version on the show. Season two, anyone who can't tell its Patti LaBelle probably needs their hearing checked. The second most obvious contestant they've had after Pineapple.

Even if you think the concept is stupid, its fun finding out some celebrities not known for singing are actually pretty good at it (I can think of two contestants who should be making albums....). And you get to hear singers peforming songs you'd never imagine them doing. (One of the songs Patti LaBelle did was Heart's "Alone", for example.) Also pretty interesting to see how bad some are.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

I watched half an hour of one, and actually randomly recorded the end so I could skip to it and see the unmasking which feels like the only bit you'd be interested in. Otherwise it's an hour and a half of horrible, and they must he paying the judges/panel a fortune to do it. 

I also don't believe Ken Jeong knows who Alan Shearer is.

i watched the first episode of the US version. The premise is fun but the judges completely dragged it down, I had no need to listen to Ken Jeong and I think it was Jenny McCarthy shout the dumbest speculation over the person singing.