The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I have so, so many old baseball cards. Crates and crates. I've always been told to sell them one day when I need money.

My dad collected them from the time he was a kid and he's almost 50 so there's a range.

Edited by Kirkland

So I'd have to guess he started collecting, say around 10 years old. That would mean he probably has cards starting from the mid-70s till now, unless he's got cards older than that as he got older. If you ever have the inclination to see what you have, find out and PM me. I'll let you know if you have anything worth anything. :)

• Like 1

They can go for a fair bit if you pick ones up from certain popular artists, usually by people that go in for that artist in particular. And of course, any that strike up controversy and manage to make it to print. Bare in mind, we're probably talking more in the range of up to $50, nothing that crazy.

I tend to find the variants Mrs. TKz gets from Loot Crate and those kind of things never end up being worth much - it's cool that it's an "Exclusive", but those type of exclusives rarely seem to end up in short supply. If you're looking to make money flipping new comics, usually the best way to do it is to jump on a series that blows up big nice and early. It's why series like Hawkeye and Batman go for tons for first prints of the early comics, they end up being way better runs than anyone expected.

My bet for the next surprise hit is Karnak. Warren Ellis tends to create magic when he kicks off a series for Marvel. I figure Omega Men will fetch a pretty price for the early issues in a few months time, too.

Some of them are stupid in what they go for.  Check the EOSV #2 variant (which is the 'variant' first app of Spider Gwen) .... or the Hughes variant for SG #1 ....

MOST variants settle in the 10-30 range (for instance the DC Bombshells #1 variant is going for 30-45 on Ebay right now but the JLA #1 1:100 can be had for 40$) but there are plenty of others that go for big bucks like the Star Wars variants in the 1:100 and greater end.

For me they are all subjective.  I buy or go after a variant cover simply because I love the cover or the contents of (such as the Inhumans variants). 

Saw a dude on Reddit seriously threaten to kill himself if MJ gets with Tony.

Anyone reading Red Hood & Arsenal?  I can honestly say it's a fun read.  Also Boy-1 from IDW looks interesting so far, but I've just picked up issue #1 and waiting on issue #2 from my LCBS.

Anyone reading Red Hood & Arsenal?  I can honestly say it's a fun read.  Also Boy-1 from IDW looks interesting so far, but I've just picked up issue #1 and waiting on issue #2 from my LCBS.

Boy-1 also has me intrigued and the 2nd issue kept me interested ... 

... waiting on the trade for RH/A, as I wanted to read it but simply no room on my sub list.

• 3 weeks later...

So this week the Marvel 'reset' happens, so I am taking this opportunity to go from a casual reader to a not-casual reader, since I can now easily hop onto every issue without feeling like i'm missing part of the story. Naturally there isn't a total retcon, but Marvel is making sure to give new readers the perfect opportunity to get into the Marvel Comics after their MCU stuff exploded in popularity.

Any issues people here are really interested in? I personally am intrigued by the All New (All-New) Hawkeye #1 which will either take place in the future, or they're making Clint an old guy in the actual normal continuity, but the Hawkeye run will now focus more on Kate rather than Clint, which I am intrigued by because I loved the Fraction Hawkeye, and I also enjoyed the short run of the previous All-New Hawkeye that has now been cancelled due to the reset happening.

The New X-Men will have old-man Logan, which is Marvel's way of not ressurecting Wolverine but actually doing it anyways... And the new Avengers stuff will have Deadpool, which is a beautiful trainwreck waiting to happen.

The idea of a Marvel reset  is turning me off completely. Think I'm just going to read old books for a while.

Yeah, the reset sounds like a terrible idea, but then I've been reading older stuff for the past forever anyway. Secret War sounds batshit enough that I might follow it at some point.

On the flipside: Civil War II.